Original Post

Hello everyone.
This is my first post here. Like all of you, I am a virtual boy enthusiast, and as you all know nowadays it is difficult to get a flashcart, especially for me living in Europe (The VB never arrived in Europe). That’s why I have decided to design my own flashcart thinking to make it as cost effective as possible and also, to share with you the plans and instructions so that everyone can build it, because customs increase the costs and shipping is expensive between countries.

Working in a new version with problems solved and more features

SPECIFICATIONS
I hope:
32Mbit Flash
Games stored in the uSD
Save games in the uSD

PC SOFTWARE
For the tests I am using the freeware RealTerm

DESIGN:
uC: STM32F103VET6
Flash: 29LV320

Why STM32F103VET6, it is a cost effective uC ARM based at 72Mhz with a very cheap development board, it has enough pins to be used as “Paralell 16bits Flash memory Programmer” using a common Serial port at full speed as input.

The STM32 and Flash work with 3.3v, so i need some level adapters like TSX0108 for 3.3s <-> 5v with VB

BR

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by MrFlower.
  • This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by MrFlower.
  • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by MrFlower.
20 Replies

Very nice sir!

My only comment is you probably want to use translators instead of just inline resistors. There’s a reason most of the flash carts use the 245 translators chips and they’re only a couple dollars each. The concern is on the STM32 side. The VB input should work at 3.3V logic.

And if you haven’t already, you’ll want to sign up for the Discord channel. Most activity is there these days.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by mellott124.

Oh!! Nice to meet you Sir, obviously i know your excellent work. I want one of your cart πŸ˜‰

Thanks for your suggestions!!, 74245 ic is a good solution. i am going to check the resistor fist, and if it doesn’t work i will use it :-).

Thanks a lot.

First test: Reading

I have received STM32 bluepill but not 29F160 flash, i have an old 27c801 eprom, and i can read it at 230400baud correctly :-).

This is not an important thing, but it is the first step.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by MrFlower.

I have detected that i forgot to connect D15 A-1 pin in 29F160, it works as Address input for 8bits MSB in 8 bit mode.

16Mbit read need 45 secconds.

The Schematic has been updated with the changes. πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by MrFlower.

Pull down resistors test.

Well, to be sure that each step works, i have installed some resistor of 5k1 (of Address bus) in a vintex64 repro card, and… The game still working fine in the VB πŸ™‚

next step…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by MrFlower.

RedAlarm reading with resistors.

I have connected the STM32 to the vintex64 cartridge with the Red Alarm game and made a reading with the resistor line on the address bus, and everything is working correctly. It takes 18 seg to read.

In the PC screenshot attached you can see on the right the RedAlarm rom that I downloaded from the internet, on the left the reading done with coolTerm through the serial port.

You can also see how the test circuit has been.

Conecting the “flash cart” to a VB

The time has come to connect the complete circuit to the VB to check if everything is still working correctly… and yes, EVERYTHING IS PERFECT.
I have also checked that after playing for a while I can still read the memory correctly.

I can’t do any more tests until the 29F160 memory arrives from China.

I am very happy that everything is going well :).

Attachments:

Great work!!

Thank you very much πŸ™‚

PCB Design

While i am waiting the memory, i have decide to design the PCB, but I’m not going to send it to production until I test everything with the memory.

I have used an USB-C connector but with USB 2.0 setup pins (D+, D-).

I still waiting…

Updated the test Schematic diagram (bluepill based) with the resistor in the /WE line removed.

And attached the production schematic :-).

Now, i am thinking if it possible to use the STM32 as nvSRAM ic to save games…

Hi all.

The memories have arrived and I have tried to solder wires to the TSOP48 pins (the flash memory), I have given up, I have overestimated my soldering skill. So I decided to send the PCB to production in PCB way.

I have to keep waiting, about 3 weeks more.

Attachments:

I can not use the SMT32 as nvSRAM beacuse i have no more I/Os in the STM to manage CS1, CS2 and WE cart pins, and also the chinese version of STM32 not work with the EEPROM emulation i need an external one like 24LXXX, i2c serial eeprom.

Another hardware developer in town. Nice project and progress! Don’t let anything stop you.

Let everyone know how the Red Alarm Repro holds up; I try to make our stuff indestructible. Also, nice get more positive visibly on our repro work.

If need any free/sample connectors to help just let us know.

Ohhhh Vintex 64 team!!!!

Your Red Alarm is very robust no doubt, big vias and big tracks, it is very useful for my tests.
Maybe I can suggest you to use square/rectangular shapes for the PCB, generally for large quantity production it is usually cheaper than cnc machine cutting.

Thank you very much for the encouragement, it is always welcome.

About the connectors, thank you very much for your offer, when I need some connectors I will buy them from you, we are in touch :-). I will only make a few cartridges, this is not my business.

Hello! Your project is amazing! Please tell me, are you continuing to work on the project? Can you share the assembly instructions?
Your experience is inspiring and I really admire your results!

Hi XUCC, thanks a lot

The original design have some problems that i am solving it.
But the new design will include more new things too.
You can see it in the new block diagram attached.

Attachments:

Interesting project.
How far evolved is it? Do you already sell working flashcarts?

Beware those TXS0108 translators. They don’t like bus capacitance and won’t work well between a flash cart and the VB. You’ll have no end of problems. They’re meant as bidirectional translators for on board chip to chip applications, not for signals that go off board.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 15 hours ago by mellott124.

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.