Original Post

Hello all, I was sent here from Seattle Retro Gamers on Facebook. Where there was some previous discusion.

I have in my possession an authentic, functional, 1995 prototype cartridge of Bound High for the Virtual Boy.

It is as of yet unclear to me what version of the game I have? If it is the same or different than the buggy->patched ROM used to make the repros? What is the easiest way for me to determine the version?

I have included pics of the cartridge and PCB. (I apologise my phone camera sucks.)

Any further information, or insight would be appreciated.

89 Replies

Well that’s not very optimistic..

I sent Nintendo a hand written letter a little while ago, nobody can resist a hand written letter! With Gameboy Camera pictures printed on a Gameboy Printer featuring Virtual Boy stuff =P

I would like to be more optimistic but it’s been 23 years and nobody has even claimed they own a copy. We haven’t even seen auctions for a copy or anything else, unlike the other game prototypes that got released and had coverage over the years.

Many years ago, someone claimed to know the editor of a gaming magazine who supposedly got a copy of DH in exchange for featuring another videogame on the cover of the magazine. But efforts to follow up were met with a lot of stonewalling, so I was dubious of the claim.

Dreammary wrote:
I would like to be more optimistic but it’s been 23 years and nobody has even claimed they own a copy. We haven’t even seen auctions for a copy or anything else, unlike the other game prototypes that got released and had coverage over the years.

So?

The Nintendo Playstation had never been seen outside of a few pictures until like 25 years later when it popped up in some dude’s attic

The Pokemon Gold/Silver proto was thought to be long gone to time, but 21 years later it just comes out of nowhere.

Some dude just found an early prototype of the Playstation 2, I’ve never even seen pictures of it but he found it.

Never give up hope, you never know.

Good point, just like the Nintendo World Championship 1990 NES that was discovered by some dude at a garage sale for $30 in Washington. It’s worth like $20k, best $30 he’s ever spent I’m sure.

I’m looking forward to hear more.. a BH final card would be so truely awesome!

@Capt. F: Your associate is not in posession of more carts I assume? =D

Just a little update. I have the custom cart dumper and a Flashboy+ to test. I am not sure when I can arrange a meeting with my associate, but it will happen.

Big thanks to MineStorm and bigmak for the supplying the necessary equipment.

This is such a great community! I can’t wait to read if the ROM holds any secrets!

Cool to see everything in that one picture

I’m also curious to see how this dump turns out 🙂

That’s such a great news ! An actual prototype of an unreleased game ! Maybe, you’ll find more prototype of more unreleased game 🙂 !

Cpt. F. wrote:
Just a little update. I have the custom cart dumper and a Flashboy+ to test. I am not sure when I can arrange a meeting with my associate, but it will happen.

Big thanks to MineStorm and bigmak for the supplying the necessary equipment.

Two months later; no update? 😕

VirtuousRage wrote:
Two months later; no update? 😕

Apologies for the delay. It has been difficult to arrange a meeting with my associate due to travel obligations.

It is still on the agenda.

Considering how many years it took to get my hands on this cart, a couple months isn’t so bad….

Thanks for the update Cpt. F. 🙂

It is cool to see the support here.
Today I saw the community Cart Dumper the first time here.
Looks solid, should be easy to work with.
What I also saw on that picture was the Flashboard.
Would be interesting to know why it is called “Bound High – 2” on it.

Sorry again for delay going to give it a shot tonight.

I will release the ROM after it is dumped AND loaded onto my FlashBoy, which I’ve also never used.

stand by for technical difficulties haha

Woohoo, it’s happening! 🙂

Nice! Stoked for this

LOL yeah having technical difficulties with both the Dumper and the ROM Padder’s

sent some PM’s researching more…

It’s like early christmas! 😉

Thank you so much for the update Cpt. F 😊

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.