Original Post

I thought it might be fun to have a contest for best eInk art for display on the HyperFlash32 eInk display. Winner will get a free HyperFlash32 cart ($150 value). This contest is open to anyone, even existing buyers. I’ll refund your cart price if you’ve already paid or give you a second free one.

The idea is to generate eInk labels that would be associated with a loaded ROM file. This is flashed to the screen so that you know what game is currently programmed. It’s meant as a changeable game label.

You can see the visible area of the image below in the picture of approximately 226 x 168 pixels set within a 264 x 176 frame. Your image needs to be 264 x 176 in size but only the 226×168 offset image will be visible once on the cart. Image needs to be in 4 gray shades to match the display: black, white, and two intermediate shades. Saved as a 24bit BMP file (this is what I need to convert to an eInk format). I’ve also attached an image showing an example 4 shades of gray available on the display, as well as some images I’ve done already. Be aware that the images I’ve done in the examples are NOT offset properly. To keep everything consistent in the conversion on my end lets use gray levels 0xFFFFFF, 0x000000,0xC0C0C0, and 0x808080.

The images I’ve done were ripped/modified from various existing labels/places. This may not be the best approach as they were not originally designed for a 4 grayscale display. But I won’t restrict people in any way. Feel free to do what you think is best.

For judging, I’ll put the images on an eInk display and pick my favorite 3. I was going to let the community vote via a poll, but someone brought to my attention that cheating would be very easy via a poll. So I’ll be the judge on this one but I’ll pick my top 3 favorites. Then I’ll randomly pick out of a hat from the top three for the final grand prize. I’ll pick the top 3 on May 1st. Then select the top one. I’m likely to have a 2nd and 3rd place prize as well. TBD on what those are.

To enter, just post your image here in this thread when its ready. By posting and entering the contest you’re open to letting others use your image on their own personal HyperFlash carts. The idea is to share labels.

Let me know if you have any questions. I reserve the right to modify the contest slightly just in case some issues arise that I didn’t think of but the general idea will remain untouched.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by mellott124.
165 Replies

Here’s the last two. Both very cool.

The Mario Clash one maps really nicely to the display. The brick colors and dithering play very nicely with the various shades. And I love the modified Do-Do character.

think you missed a couple of mine from pages 10 & 11 (getting them on the display, I mean), but I’m not too fussed about it. Anyway, just wanted to say it here as well – good luck everyone 🙂

OK, results are in.

I wanted to control the presentation so I made a new page on my site for the results. It allowed better control of the imagery.

HyperFlash32 eInk Label Contest

Also accessible via my main page via a post update:
http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/

mellott124 wrote:
OK, results are in.

Holy snaps! I can’t believe I won a category!!! 😀
I’m so happy and exited!

Congratz to all the other winners! They all look great!

Thanks Mellott for the contest and expanding to 3 different categories! <3

VirtuousRage wrote:

mellott124 wrote:
OK, results are in.

Holy snaps! I can’t believe I won a category!!! 😀
I’m so happy and exited!

Congratz to all the other winners! They all look great!

Thanks Mellott for the contest and expanding to 3 different categories! <3

Agreed! I think the three categories were a good (and generous) idea, and I’m hyped to have done as well as I did! Great job to everyone who participated, and my congratulations to all those who placed.

Thanks again to everybody who made this such a fun (& friendly) competition,

TRM (hell yeah – I actually won!)

Congrats everybody! I hope to see more quality labels produced in the future, so we can compile complete sets of labels for all commercial and homebrew games. 🙂

Forgot to post my label template BTW, so here it is.

Congrats! Fun competition and great job with the labels everyone. Thanks to Kevin for arranging it!

Wow, I am honored I placed at all. I honestly stopped making labels after seeing all the awesome custom ones. I don’t have the skill for all that and there all A LOT of great works submitted. Thanks Kevin for the fun community co-op!!

Just made a VUEngine-themed template so future ROM releases can come bundled with an e-label. This could also function as a template for other games using the Virtual Boy logo instead.

I wished to place 2nd and made it. I’m really satisfied!
It was cool to partecipate in this competition; I’m not the type, so this helped me gain some confidence.

I’m busy with other projects at the moment, but I’ll try my best to keep creating labels for whoever could be interested in my art.

Also, thank you Mellott for creating the contest 😉

I’m so glad that my work was chosen.I am humbled by your compliments. Thank you Mr. Mellott for your generosity in the contest. I hope you get many many more e-labels for your project the hyperflash 32. and as for the first place winners, congratulations.

This one is pure magic.

Attachments:

Congratulations to all the winners!

I reworked the shading of my Mario Clash label to hopefully be easier to read.

It’s been really fun seeing how everyone’s designs work on an E-Ink display! Thank you Mellott for running the contest and for showing us how they look. 🙂

Cheers,
Ben

Attachments:

le geek wrote:
Congratulations to all the winners!

I reworked the shading of my Mario Clash label to hopefully be easier to read.

It’s been really fun seeing how everyone’s designs work on an E-Ink display! Thank you Mellott for running the contest and for showing us how they look. 🙂

Cheers,
Ben

Does look nicer. You were tied for a 3rd place position actually with this label. It was a tough decision. I spent about 4 hours going back over all the labels and re-evaluating them.

Great job.

Congrats to everyone!

It has been a super fun project in theese hard times. I’ll keep contributing with more labels even though the contest is over. Let me know which games do you want to see.

Also, thanks for all your nice comments!

This was fun to follow and participate in. I’m glad now we all have the tools to make more.

KR155E wrote:
Just made a VUEngine-themed template so future ROM releases can come bundled with an e-label. This could also function as a template for other games using the Virtual Boy logo instead.

I love these! If I ever find the time to learn VUEngine and get back into VB dev, my games will all have a label based on this :thumpup:

RunnerPack schrieb:

KR155E wrote:

I love these! If I ever find the time to learn VUEngine and get back into VB dev, my games will all have a label based on this :thumpup:

Thank you, RunnerPack! It would be awesome to see you back in virtual business! Let me know when you fancy to get into VUEngine so we can set you up with the latest tools. 🙂

This may not be the best venue but I’d like to try it and see how it goes. An experiment.

Here’s a google spreadsheet link to show what labels for HyperFlash32 are available. The idea is to put names of people that have labels under “Label Available” in the hope to easily see what labels have NOT been generated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vOtyaqhkI7BANq0jr9HwZM1GXyA6GTgp5kmeMunGKTQ/edit?usp=sharing

I’ll start filling in ones I know, but anyone with link access can modify it.

mellott124 wrote:

The idea is to put names of people that have labels under “Label Available” in the hope to easily see what labels have NOT been generated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vOtyaqhkI7BANq0jr9HwZM1GXyA6GTgp5kmeMunGKTQ/edit?usp=sharing

I’ll start filling in ones I know, but anyone with link access can modify it.

The document is ‘View only’ when I go into it, but regardless, besides the ones you put down of mine (most of them), I also did labels for Golf, Nester’s Funky Bowling, Panic Bomber, SD Gundam Dimension War, Space Invaders Virtual Collection, and Virtual Boy Wario Land. It should be accurate at least for my stuff when those are added :).

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.