Original Post

Hi,

As I’ve discussed in a few other threads on the forums, I’m working on a HyperFlash32 cart as a replacement for the FlashBoy+.

HyperFlash32 will contain a 32Mbit Flash (enough for the full HF ROM), 32k x 8 nvSRAM (no save battery required), and a new faster 32bit ARM microcontroller (MCU) running at 32MHz, on board SD card slot, and USB port for control using your PC. ROM files are placed on the SD card and programmed to the flash memory using the MCU, with automatic padding. A simple PC based interface will be used to control the programming steps much like my VB programmer. The on board MCU and SD card slot arrangement was chosen to make programming as fast as possible and provide a single integrated programmer and cart solution. The ARM MCU will also have a bootloader to allow future firmware upgrades as functionality is added. It will also have the features of my VB programmer like SRAM save functionality to save your game progress.

Schematics are done and I’m ready to go to layout so I’m taking preorders to help get it across the finish line. You can read more about it here, as well as place your preorder if you’re so interested: http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php/hyperflash32/

Thanks,
Kevin

131 Replies

Awesome 🙂
I already have a Flashboy but i want that too, is there still a Preorder for that? 🙂

Cross posting here. I posted this on Discord yesterday.
And for anyone following, I post pretty regularly to the Discord channel. The most recent updates and progress of the work on HyperFlash can be found there.

Here are some eInk test labels. Images definitely need to be optimized for the display. So users adding their own images will be doable but don’t expect great results unless you tweak them for the display. As time goes on I’ll try to add more labels for existing games but also hope the VB community will do their own.

I just sent out an update to all HyperFlash orders. I had a few email bounces. Please check your Paypal email address and make sure its up to date. This is the easiest way for me to grab everyone’s email and send out group updates. Thanks.

Thanks for the update! I think all of us understand the reason for the delay and also appreciate all the hard work you´re putting into this. Stay safe!

Hey Kevin, just curious, do you still think you’ll end up doing the MultiBoy32? I held out on buying this one because I liked the idea of the MultiBoy better, but more and more this project seems to be shifting into the MultiBoy and I’m feeling like maybe I missed my chance to get on board this project if you don’t end up doing any further batches/orders.

Thanks.

brumbie13 wrote:
Hey Kevin, just curious, do you still think you’ll end up doing the MultiBoy32? I held out on buying this one because I liked the idea of the MultiBoy better, but more and more this project seems to be shifting into the MultiBoy and I’m feeling like maybe I missed my chance to get on board this project if you don’t end up doing any further batches/orders.

Thanks.

It’s on the list but you never know. At this point MultiBoy is an idea. HyperFlash32 is being built. I could see HyperFlash keeping me busy for a while. I can give a better estimate most likely at the end of this year.

Okay thanks. I have a consolized version of the VB so the carts load upside down. I think the buttons of the flashboy won’t work for me because I won’t be able to access them. That’s the main reason I was hoping for a multiboy.

I’ll just keep my fingers crossed for the future.

Sorry, brand new here and it looks like I am a little late!

This looks amazing…is there a waitlist for future batches?

redrumh2o wrote:
Sorry, brand new here and it looks like I am a little late!

This looks amazing…is there a waitlist for future batches?

If you want to try your hand at making some e-ink art, Mellott is holding a contest to win one. Otherwise you’ll just have to wait for the next batch (thankfully the interest is there so it has a decent chance at happening).

I made an account just to follow this (wish I knew how to support these projects and help out!). I just got my first Virtual Boy and am working on repairing the eye ribbons soon.

I am excited to find this site with some good projects/support still out there for the VB. I will definitely be ordering one of these HyperFlash32s when it’s available. Hopefully I can snag 2-3.

retroedge wrote:
I made an account just to follow this (wish I knew how to support these projects and help out!). I just got my first Virtual Boy and am working on repairing the eye ribbons soon.

I am excited to find this site with some good projects/support still out there for the VB. I will definitely be ordering one of these HyperFlash32s when it’s available. Hopefully I can snag 2-3.

Thanks for checking it out! Definitely sign up for the PlanetVB Discord channel if you want to keep up on the latest news.

https://discord.gg/qvxTuRB

When people talk about getting an email and being able to preorder, how was this notification created? I’m pretty fluent in the site and didn’t know you could preorder or somehow get on the initial list. Do you have to download the “discord” app to put your info in to get on the list?

Also what is the price of the Hyperflash32 vs the Multiboy32?

I believe all you had to do was email Kevin to say you were interested. He then would send an invoice for payment to secure your spot.

This however has closed for now, but there are plans for a second batch as far as I’m aware.

If you just want on the mailing list you could probably just email him and ask to be added

Wow does that look beautiful, the sleek design definitely brings out the awesome lcd labels and looks so dang unique and incredible. Can’t wait to get this thing once it finally comes out (and the red board is a great touch) I’m glad things are still going along smoothly despite all the Covid delays. Looks fantastic so far!

This looks awesome, great work!!

Lots of work going on here. Most of it being posted to Discord. Here’s a video of the latest progress so that people only on PlanetVB can see it.

This is looking pretty cool now. I thought I was on the mailing list, but haven’t gotten anything in ages so I guess not. I didn’t preorder as the description at the time sounded like the cart had to be plugged into a PC via USB just to load games (aka 1 at a time). Clearly Kevin has progressed beyond that. The other bit of confusion (still is) is whether this will be sold as a completely assembled product, or that we have to provide a shell or something like that?

Greg2600 wrote:
This is looking pretty cool now. I thought I was on the mailing list, but haven’t gotten anything in ages so I guess not. I didn’t preorder as the description at the time sounded like the cart had to be plugged into a PC via USB just to load games (aka 1 at a time). Clearly Kevin has progressed beyond that. The other bit of confusion (still is) is whether this will be sold as a completely assembled product, or that we have to provide a shell or something like that?

I took some orders with people providing shells at the beginning. It didn’t really work. So now I provide the complete cart.

I emailed everyone I thought I had on the list. I may have missed you. You can always reach out to me over PM or even email. My info is all over PlanetVB and I’m on the PlanetVB Discord. You can also reach me through my site.

The on-screen interface will be the primary interface for everyone, with PC as secondary meant mainly for developers.

Registered for this site just for this topic. I have a furrtek-installed virtual tap in my VB and have been looking for a flashcart solution for ages.

how can I get on this mailing list? Have orders already been taken?

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.