Original Post

Hey,

As you know, we don’t have a link cable, or a suitable connector available for the VB. There’s several ways to make a cable that works, but in the end, it’s mostly ugly hacks for development/prototyping. I’ve been trying to come up with a way to make a quality cable that would just plug in… but so far have been unsuccessful.

So… it got me thinking… how about just making a proper cable? I contacted a custom part manufacturer (who I’ve used parts from in the past), and they said they could do it, but of course wouldn’t be “cheap”. I sort of based my design thoughts on the SNES A/V connector, which includes a plastic shell with crimp pins. So, I found some crimp pins which should work, but I didn’t have any way to make a 3D model of the plastic shell.

Well, of course I asked Hedgetrimmer (our resident 3D modeling expert), and he created a GREAT model of a plastic shell to house the pins. With that, I was able to verify with the MFG that it could be made, as well as get an estimate for price.

So, now here’s the question. They were right… it’s not cheap. A complete link cable would cost about $40, since the quantity would be so low. At this price, how many would be interested (and how many)? Would anyone want just the connector/pins?

There’d probably only be about 50 cables made, and this would probably be the only run, since I’m assuming the demand would be low. I don’t mind investing the money (and probably losing quite a bit on this project), since I think it’s a very worthwhile project… but, if I’m the only one that has any interest in it, there’s no point in even considering it further.

But, IMO this seems like a good time to pursue this, since homebrew is continually advancing, and I think linked homebrew has been held down by lack of link cable. Also, I assume some will be buying the new Flashboy, even though they already have an old Flashboy… so with two flash carts, why not have a cable to link the systems?

Of course, if there’s an unanticipated large interest in this, the price would come down… but we’re a pretty small community, and the homebrew crowd is really the only market for this.

Thanks,
DogP

381 Replies

I’m very interested to know what you used for the connectors.

Salvaged or custom made ?

MineStorm schrieb:

mellott124 made 3D printed plugs:
http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=37461#forumpost37461

Completely custom. Modeled the connector from scratch based on the port on the bottom of the VB and from pictures of the VUE-004 cable online.

Then 3D printed in different materials and iterated on design until it worked the way I wanted it.

MineStorm wrote:

Sorry, I meant the contacts inside the connector.

Contacts are USB pins. You have to design around a specific part number because the back ends are not all the exact same size or length depending on the housing. I chose one that pulls apart easily enough so they could be salvaged for making the link cables. Takes 2 USB connectors to make a single link cable end.

MineStorm wrote:
Sorry, I meant the contacts inside the connector.

Latest parts just came in. I’ll be building tonight and through the weekend to try to get everyone their cables.

I am out of town Monday and Tuesday so some may slip into the next week but I’ll do my best to not let that happen.

mellott124 wrote:
Latest parts just came in. I’ll be building tonight and through the weekend to try to get everyone their cables.

I am out of town Monday and Tuesday so some may slip into the next week but I’ll do my best to not let that happen.

I can hardly wait!! 😀

Sounds good ty.

Been checking my mail everyday in hopes of this arriving.
Patience patience… ( “-3-)

The cables that were built this weekend are packed up and going out in the mail tomorrow. I wasn’t able to finish them all but everyone involved has been emailed.

If you didn’t receive an email then you’re in the 4th batch, as you should have been initially told. I’m ordering parts for those cables after this message and should be able to start building them next weekend.

It is great seeing all this enthusiasm for the VB! 🙂 I am in for 1 link cable. PM sent.

Got the cable. I need another VB now to test my two HF carts. Thanks again.

I just received mellott124’s Link Cable yesterday and I am in love with it! I was able to test it out and it works flawlessly, the quality of the components are top notch and if you didn’t know any better, you’d think it was an official product. There was fantastic communication along the way and it was definitely packed with care.

Here’s pictures of mine.

Hope it is not too late but I’m in for one cable. It seems very great and with the future reproduction of Hyper Fighting, it could have a great interest.
Good work and congratulations to materialize a real Nintendo’s project: now it is not a vaporware!

Where can we order a cable?

Quick update. Last of the batch 3 cables will go out this weekend. There was a delay in the batch 4 part order due to a glitch in their system. Parts are due mid next week so next batch of cable builds will start next weekend. Apologize for the delay. If anyone has any questions send me an email or PM. Thanks!

Enjoy Mario Tennis 2 player!!!

Got my link cable this week!
Great quality and a solid build. The guy certainly does good work.

Now we need a multitap and a multiplayer game as well… 😉

Thanks everyone for posting about their cables. Glad people are liking them.

All batch 3 cable orders are out. Appreciate the patience as they go out. Demand has been stronger than I expected. 20 cables have been built and shipped out so far. Batch 4 is already sold out and will be 15 cable builds. I’ll keep going as long as people are interested.

I’m also very glad the cables are motivating other work. That’s what I had hoped it would do. Looking forward to what comes next!

New parts came yesterday so cable builds for batch 4 starting tonight.

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.