Original Post

A problem often encountered by Virtual Boy users are glitchy displays, leading to horizontal lines, reversed or generally distorted images, or even complete loss of display activity.

All those symptoms are usually caused by the ribbon cables connecting the LEDs to the motherboard becoming loose, or peeling away from the display PCB.

Fixing your Diplay: Oven method

DogP has come up with a way to fix the problem by opening the system up, removing the display, sticking it in the oven to re-melt the adhesive, and reassemble. It’s not a difficult procedure, except that the typical security bit can’t get to the deepest screws on the VB, so you either need a special screwdiver, a modified bit, or a modified screwdriver.

You can find a guide to fix your displays on DogP’s Project:VB.

Fixing your Diplay: Bypass method

Another way has been proposed by DanB. To permanently fix the problem, his idea was to replace the loosening ribbon cables with some better wires, which he soldered to the PCB. This solution requires much more skill, though, and should only be performed by solder experienced people with a steady hand and a huge portion of patience.

The complete guide can be found here.

Fixing your Diplay: New methods (RECOMMENDED)

Some more methods have recently been developed by DogP to permanently fix the cable problem (contrary to the probably non-permanent oven method): Thread.

• This topic was modified 15 years, 9 months ago by KR155E.
335 Replies

DPsx7 wrote:
I’ve repaired a dot matrix display with it. When I got my pinball machine a few lines of the display were broken and a new one costs like $120. I tried with solder but just couldn’t get it to stick to the piece inside the glass.

Heh, actually… pinball displays are the things that I’ve had good luck with as well. The first was a few Williams System 7 displays that were missing a few segments. The problem was that the metal that was deposited on the glass was corroded/burnt, and sandwiched between two layers of glass… so there was no way to solder it. So I took a piece of 30 AWG wire covered in the conductive epoxy and painted it in the grooves. The second was a DMD for my Terminator 2 that was missing a few lines. The display was perfect, except for the missing lines, and AFAIK, it’s still holding up (it’s at my parents’ house now).

But, those were an order of magnitude larger than these displays are. I remember the stuff not being particularly easy to work with (kinda globby and hard to lay down a fine line). And you’d still need to expose the copper on the cable. But yeah, if you try it, definitely let us know how it goes.

DogP

Yup, I tried drilling out a bit of the glass to reach that metal. Same with yours the display was otherwise in good shape so I didn’t want to discard it only because of the 2 rightmost lines. As I mentioned though like a year ago the whole thing fizzled out and thankfully it wasn’t one of the more expensive boards.

I’ve yet to see the size of the VB board. (I’m about to post the story in my other thread…) So once all that falls into place I’ll see which way I want to go.

I think the contents of this post belong in this thread, so here they are:

DogP wrote:
One thing to note: there’s a pretty consistent problem where the cables are dimpled from where they’ve been in contact with the socket on the motherboard side for 17+ years… this ends up causing a glitchy display problem as well. The easy solution is to simply pull the cable out a tiny bit.

When you push the display cable into the LIF socket, you’ll feel a little bit of tension, and then you’ll feel it sorta pop into place. That means you went too far. Just pull it out a tiny bit, where you feel a little bit of tension, and you’ll be good to go.

I’d say about half of the displays did that… so I just wanted to mention that, as you’re reinstalling your displays, to: 1) not push it in all the way, and 2) test it before completely reassembling (so you don’t have to disassemble it if you pushed it all the way in).

There probably are other ways to deal with it… you may be able to use a roller or something to undimple the cable, or slide a piece of paper above the cable to increase pressure… or even trim a tiny bit off the end of the cable so you can push the cable in beyond the dimple… but simply pulling it out a tiny bit does the job, and there is enough tension that you shouldn’t have to worry about it moving during normal use or shipping.

What this also means is that in 17 years, you may need to pull the VB apart again to deal with the new dimples in the cable. 😛

DogP

Tried to play my Virtual Boy today and the left image was glitchy. Just curious, how much would it cost to get someone to repair/fix the system? I’d fix it, but I have no experience tinkering with the inner workings of the Virtual Boy and I don’t want to damage anything.

Has anyone tried a kind of “clamp” fix ?

My right display has glitchy line and mirroring, but when I press gently the ribbon cable against the display pcb (while the VB is powered on, disasembled), the problems disappear completely.

I’m sure some of you have already thought about it, but i did not find any examples. I want to go Mac Gyver on my VB, so any help is welcome :]

Craby wrote:

I started to create a clamp 3D model in Sketchup, which I was going to 3D print… but I didn’t have any displays that responded well to increased pressure (I’ve soldered most of my displays). It was just a piece of plastic with holes that the LED screws would go through, with a slight bulge near the top for increased pressure on the cable, and a curl at the top to act as a strain relief (to keep the cable from pulling away from the display).

I don’t know of anyone that has actually tried something like this though… lots of people (including myself) have tried various tapes/adhesives to hold it tighter, but results have been mediocre at best.

My opinion is that it may work as a temporary fix on some displays, but probably would eventually fail (since displays in advanced stages of failure don’t seem to work by simply applying pressure). Though maybe if you apply the clamp early enough, the adhesive wouldn’t weaken, because the clamp would be reinforcing it… I dunno. If you try it, be sure to post how it goes!

DogP

This is the exact thing I have been pondering modelling but never got round to it.
I’d like to say hold for a day or 2 and I’ll sort an STL but I have a stack of projects that need attention, so if anyone does this and it works I too would like to see pics.
If I do get something like this modelled I’ll post it for all to use.

DogP wrote:

Craby wrote:

I started to create a clamp 3D model in Sketchup, which I was going to 3D print… but I didn’t have any displays that responded well to increased pressure (I’ve soldered most of my displays). It was just a piece of plastic with holes that the LED screws would go through, with a slight bulge near the top for increased pressure on the cable, and a curl at the top to act as a strain relief (to keep the cable from pulling away from the display).

I don’t know of anyone that has actually tried something like this though… lots of people (including myself) have tried various tapes/adhesives to hold it tighter, but results have been mediocre at best.

My opinion is that it may work as a temporary fix on some displays, but probably would eventually fail (since displays in advanced stages of failure don’t seem to work by simply applying pressure). Though maybe if you apply the clamp early enough, the adhesive wouldn’t weaken, because the clamp would be reinforcing it… I dunno. If you try it, be sure to post how it goes!

DogP

I finished the model of mine tonight (I had the frame modeled, just needed to add a couple missing faces). It should be the right shape, and the holes should be in the right locations (according to measurements I had taken)… but I haven’t double-checked, and I haven’t printed it… so don’t expect perfection.

If I get a bit of spare time (maybe this weekend), I’ll do a test print to see how it looks. It should be easily printable on any 3D printer (thick walls, flat bottom, etc)… though you may need to drill out the holes if your printer isn’t perfect, since I think I made them the exact size (a lot of printers tend to print holes smaller than modeled).

Anyway, I attached a jpg of what it looks like, the Sketchup file in case you want to modify it, and the STL file if you want to print it. If you try it out, definitely post how it works.

DogP

Attachments:

I had a few spare minutes tonight, so I printed the clamp. Overall, it’s functional, and close to what I wanted… though not perfect. The good news is that my display works with it… the bad news is that the display is soldered, and was already working. 😉 Attached are a bunch of pics.

Improvements that I think should be made:
-Thicker back (it flexes more than I’d like, and since there are only two corners with screws, that’s a bit of a problem). On my printer, it’s only 4 layers thick. It can’t be too thick, or the screws won’t be long enough, though an option is to recess the screw holes.
-Thinner bulge. I was hoping the bulge would have a bit of a slope to it to press evenly on the cable, but it’s too thin for that to be realistic, and right now, pretty much the entire thing is two layers thick. I think that whole section should just be one layer thick. It might even be better with no bulge, since the cable already adds thickness between the clamp and the display PCB.
-Shorter curl. It doesn’t really stress the cable, but with the IPD all the way in, the cable has a tighter angle than I’d like. It really just needs to keep the cable bent toward the motherboard, which can be done with a much shorter curl.

One suggestion for printing… I’d recommend 100% infill. I had my default of 20%, and I noticed a slight bit of sagging in the bulge, where it added one layer of infill. Most of the time that’s not a problem, but here, we want to spread the force as evenly as possible, so the surface needs to be as even as possible.

Maybe I’ll get around to modifying this some day, or if any of you do it… please post it back up.

DogP

Looks like an original part ! Good job :]

I’ve made a quick fix wich involved an eraser, a ceramic knife and some steri-strips. No more glitchy lines or anything for now ! (~1 day, probably won’t last a week)

What can we do if we don’t have a 3D printer?

It’s been a while since I was here. The weather got hot, projects got set aside, and well to keep this short I never got around to fixing the displays on my VB. Seeing as how parts aren’t readily available and I know I do not have the best soldering iron for delicate work with only 2 temp settings I came to ask about my other options.

Who does repairs, what does it cost, is there something else I can try (was going to attempt the oven trick but it seems it’s not guaranteed to work)?

DO NOT ATTEMPT THE OVEN TRICK!

PM sent 😀

Gah! Ok, I won’t… I was considering it until a heat wave set in and running the oven was the last thing on my mind.

PM sent. Thanks.

Just stopping in to say Runnerpack did a great job solving my display problem. Another VB is back up and running, hopefully for many more years to come.

Just to let you know RunnerPack has fixed six of my displays. All a top notch job. Will play flawlessly forever.

Reading the Kill Screen Magazine article made me think again. Isn’t there a oled display or similar that could replace the original LED column? You could maybe use one column of the display and with some clever technology also use green or blue. Maybe skip two rows and use these to signal blue or red…

Would have been nice to have a color VirtualBoy.

And also as a spare part to use if there’s ever a problem finding replacements. LEDs don’t last forever. 😉

OK… f**k. My left display is all glitched up again. Can’t play Hyper Figther. If there is anyone who can fix it for me please send me a PM.

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyways, my Virtual Boy is starting to glitch out and I am rubbish at fixing these kinds of things. If anyone here can help me out, please shoot me a pm (I am in the US). Thanks!

Hello everyone.

I’m Chava from Spain and recently bought a Virtual Boy for the first time.

My problem is that the right screen is not working at all. Left display and sound work great though. I’ve read most of this topic, and I’ll try the oven thing as I don’t have a lot of soldering experience and it seems easy enough.

To what I’ve seen, most people trying this was to fix display problems (dead lines or noise) but mine doesn’t display anything at all… hope this methid might still work for me.

Are there any other known causes (and fix) which might cause one of the screens to not work?

And, my last question here is, do you know any european seller who sells the proper gamebit to open up the VB? I’ve read it has to be longer than usual, right? Or are there any workarounds to this?

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

EDIT: Can anyone confirm this scredriver could help? Is it long enough? (6 cm long it reads)
http://www.ebay.es/itm/Cabezal-destornillador-CONSOLAS-SEGA-Y-SNES-NINTENDO-64-4-5mm-GAME-BIT-/321227261141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item4acaa304d5

i bought my gamebit off ebay and then modified it to fit my virtual boy. HERE are instructions.

you can also modify a screw driver by fileing out a notch at the bottom so that it can grip the security screws on 2 sides.

you should consider replacing the screws after you get them out. any hardware store should sell a #4 X 1/2 PAN PHIL screw. to make the job easier consider someting to magnetize your driver

good luck and welcome to the world of the virtual boy!

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.