Original Post

In this thread we all want to post cool, spectacular, noteworthy, jaw-dropping […] Virtual Boy auctions on ebay, Yahoo or any other site…

At first here are two auctions on Yahoo Japan (Always cooool stuff on there!) for the japanese Nintendo Store Display:

➡<http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/58915948>

➡<http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c39350994>

KR155E

2,110 Replies

speedyink wrote:
Actually I looked through the item history for the seller, the dude has sold multiple CIB copies, as well as many other repros.
Minestorm is right, I thought it was an original release because it looks identical to one. But no, I guess someone is ripping off all the assets, and reproducing them verbatim without credit to the people who originally made them. The real kick in the balls is the $425 premium that particular game gets over say a Bound High CIB he makes. If you’re going to milk the market using other peoples hard work/investment, it would sure make it less of a dick move if maybe you contacted them and offered a bit of the cut, hmm?

To be clear, I have no problem with someone supplying the demand for a market. It’s when sneaky/dirty tactics are used, like taking assets without permission, or doing so while also taking advantage of an items market price.

Sorry to tell you all but the seller is mellott124, if you look through feedback someone mentions him directly by name. Yes, the same guy that’s making the new cartridge dumper and programmer has also made and sold around 10 copies of Hyper Fighting.

He also contacted me on here before.

Yes that’s me. It helps pay for my projects and free gear I give most devs who ask. Most of my projects these days are VB related. Don’t get confused and think anyone lives on VB reproductions. It’s not happening. As for eBay… its eBay. It’s not the PlanetVB community. I’m also not forcing anyone to buy anything.

I’m in contact with some developers and not with others. If you feel I’ve stepped on your toes, send me a message and we can discuss it. You can send me a PM. A lot of devs also already have my personal email.

I don’t really need to say this but I will just to clarify this once. I’ve given a lot of free gear to VB devs. Wired link cables, USB link cables, free carts for development, stickers, PCBs. I’ve even sent free Virtual Boys to people. The next one will be several free programmers. I give back as much as I can while still being able to move forward with new stuff. I do this for fun. When it stops becoming fun then I won’t do it anymore.

Hey guys, check this out

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Super-Famicom-Magazine-1995-No-13-Japan-VIRTUAL-BOY-TERRANIGMA-TENCHI-SOUZOU/153007300208?hash=item239ff21e70:g:cEMAAOSwZlZaA7op

is there already a scan of this? I didnt see one in the scans section.

edit: whats the majhong game in this pic?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nqEAAOSwwAdaA7pl/s-l1600.jpg

bottom left

The Mahjong game is Double Yakuman… T

here are other issues of this magazine scanned but this issue doesnt seem to be (the seller has other issues from around this time as well, so there might be more the site doesn’t have scanned sitting within those)

Seam wrote:
Hey guys, check this out

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Super-Famicom-Magazine-1995-No-13-Japan-VIRTUAL-BOY-TERRANIGMA-TENCHI-SOUZOU/153007300208?hash=item239ff21e70:g:cEMAAOSwZlZaA7op

is there already a scan of this? I didnt see one in the scans section.

edit: whats the majhong game in this pic?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nqEAAOSwwAdaA7pl/s-l1600.jpg

bottom left

I didnt see Double Yakuman listed in the unreleased games section. Is it listed elsewhere on the site?

It’s there. It’s listed as “Virtual Double Yakuman”

Seam wrote:
I didnt see Double Yakuman listed in the unreleased games section. Is it listed elsewhere on the site?

ah nice, thanks!

awesome! great work as always

I’ve given a lot of free gear to VB devs

The important question is, out of the extortionate HF money you got, how much of it did you send to MK ?

mellott124 wrote:
Yes that’s me. It helps pay for my projects and free gear I give most devs who ask. Most of my projects these days are VB related. Don’t get confused and think anyone lives on VB reproductions. It’s not happening. As for eBay… its eBay. It’s not the PlanetVB community. I’m also not forcing anyone to buy anything.

I’m in contact with some developers and not with others. If you feel I’ve stepped on your toes, send me a message and we can discuss it. You can send me a PM. A lot of devs also already have my personal email.

I don’t really need to say this but I will just to clarify this once. I’ve given a lot of free gear to VB devs. Wired link cables, USB link cables, free carts for development, stickers, PCBs. I’ve even sent free Virtual Boys to people. The next one will be several free programmers. I give back as much as I can while still being able to move forward with new stuff. I do this for fun. When it stops becoming fun then I won’t do it anymore.

Look, we definitely appreciate anyone who’s willing to give back to the VB community. What’s not appreciated is the sense of self entitlement to rip off others’ work.

How difficult is it to ask someone if it’s ok if you use their hard work for your own projects? I’m sure you’ve gotten a sense of how this community is, anyone would have gladly given you permission. In the case of Hyper Fighting, I’m sure even if you offered MK or Ben a cut they would probably decline, especially if you explain where the profits go. But you know what? Everyone would be totally cool with it then, because you at least asked and got the ok to do so.

How about the labels you ripped off? Innsmouth Mansion? Virtual Fishing english logo? Again, I know damn well the person who designed them would have given you the blessing to use them. But again, you didn’t even ask.

Think about it. You work really hard on something and post it online to share. Would you rather:
A: Some guy copies it verbatim and sells it as his own, without asking and with zero credit to you, or
B: Some guy asks you if it’s ok to use your work in their project, as long as you are credited. You give them the ok, and everyone involved is on the same page. No one has to find their work on some dudes cart he randomly bought off ebay.

speedyink wrote:

mellott124 wrote:
Yes that’s me. It helps pay for my projects and free gear I give most devs who ask. Most of my projects these days are VB related. Don’t get confused and think anyone lives on VB reproductions. It’s not happening. As for eBay… its eBay. It’s not the PlanetVB community. I’m also not forcing anyone to buy anything.

I’m in contact with some developers and not with others. If you feel I’ve stepped on your toes, send me a message and we can discuss it. You can send me a PM. A lot of devs also already have my personal email.

I don’t really need to say this but I will just to clarify this once. I’ve given a lot of free gear to VB devs. Wired link cables, USB link cables, free carts for development, stickers, PCBs. I’ve even sent free Virtual Boys to people. The next one will be several free programmers. I give back as much as I can while still being able to move forward with new stuff. I do this for fun. When it stops becoming fun then I won’t do it anymore.

Look, we definitely appreciate anyone who’s willing to give back to the VB community. What’s not appreciated is the sense of self entitlement to rip off others’ work.

How difficult is it to ask someone if it’s ok if you use their hard work for your own projects? I’m sure you’ve gotten a sense of how this community is, anyone would have gladly given you permission. In the case of Hyper Fighting, I’m sure even if you offered MK or Ben a cut they would probably decline, especially if you explain where the profits go. But you know what? Everyone would be totally cool with it then, because you at least asked and got the ok to do so.

How about the labels you ripped off? Innsmouth Mansion? Virtual Fishing english logo? Again, I know damn well the person who designed them would have given you the blessing to use them. But again, you didn’t even ask.

Think about it. You work really hard on something and post it online to share. Would you rather:
A: Some guy copies it verbatim and sells it as his own, without asking and with zero credit to you, or
B: Some guy asks you if it’s ok to use your work in their project, as long as you are credited. You give them the ok, and everyone involved is on the same page. No one has to find their work on some dudes cart he randomly bought off ebay.

Fair enough. I get everyone is upset about Hyper Fighting. Like I said, if you’re the developer, send me a message. If you’re not and just an upset collector or VB user, I’m not concerned.

As for the labels, many of those were custom designed for me. Many others are direct box cuts. Grab whatever you like and print them yourself. No one is preventing you from doing so. The Virtual Fishing one in particular was a custom design someone in the community did for me. So, no you don’t damn well know.

I’m not going to post anything else here in the forums regarding this subject. I’ve said what I’m going to say about it.

Just for the record. Kevin can make as many repos of my games and sell them on ebay as much as he wants. That includes Virtual Fishing, Faceball Remastered, Fishbone and even GameHero if someone wants it. Snatcher would be a bit unfair for the buyer given it’s current state.

Personally, I don’t see the problem with selling HF repos but that’s just me.

Edit: I’m not saying this because he sent me free stuff but because he’s become one of the most active members of the community doing awesome stuff all of the time.

Maybe he should change the label art and not include the box and manual, since his copies are being sold to fool people into believing they are receiving the rare true copies. In the future fake copies will be able to be determined by the board color and design thankfully (people would be less likely to pay such a high price if they discovered their copies weren’t original run copies, just like releases on NintendoAge people want the original copies).

Not to say I actually care about my copy retaining any value, I just don’t like people fooling others in the name of profit. These people think they are buying the actual copies of the game that were talked about years ago on many gaming sites. They are unfortunately receiving replications, that aren’t described as such in the sales details (You actually lie in the details and call your replications from the same batch as the rare release).

$250 for a loose copy??? It was $200 for a complete in box copy (with portions of the sale being given to those involved, whoever they are) in the true release. If anything set a sale price at $100 “buy it now!” to make it available to everyone, instead of feeding to the ridiculous inflation.

  • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Super Bros..
  • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Super Bros..
  • This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Super Bros..

I’m not trying to stir the pot, I 100% get where you are coming from, but I find it hilarious that we are living in a world where people get upset about a reproduction of a homebrew game.

Dreammary wrote:
Maybe he should change the label art and not include the box and manual, since his copies are being sold to fool people into believing they are receiving the rare true copies. In the future fake copies will be able to be determined by the board color and design thankfully (people would be less likely to pay such a high price if they discovered their copies weren’t original run copies, just like releases on NintendoAge people want the original copies).

Levine91 wrote:
I’m not trying to stir the pot, I 100% get where you are coming from, but I find it hilarious that we are living in a world where people get upset about a reproduction of a homebrew game.

Same. I have no issues with it.

What you guys fail to realize is this game took many, many years to develop. It was also very costly and paid for by Ben, all copies originally released were intended for donation.

This game could be had for $200, and he’s literally playing off his copies as the originals. But charging a bundle for his copies and not donating anything from his proceeds.

I find that to be pretty crappy. He’s made thousands off his reproductions that are attempting to perfectly replicate real copies.

I don’t “fail to realize” anything. I watched the entire process since day one. And I praise MK for his work and the others involved. Why exactly do yourself and others feel as though they have the right to judge someone for selling repros of a homebrew game on ebay? Were you involved in the making of said game? If the creators of the game have a problem, they can come on here and say so, or contact Kevin directly(and how do you know they haven’t already). And shouldn’t it only be between them? Doesn’t that make sense? Maybe my opinion doesn’t matter, and I really don’t feel like saying much else about the issue, but i do feel as though its not really anyones place to get riled up over it. And lastly, me personally, I feel as though Kevin is one of the largest contributors to the entire little scene that we have here and you guys are getting on his case about selling a repro of some homebrew game? First print or not, who cares. More people are getting to play the game and that’s a good thing. Maybe some people don’t want that and they want it to only be all for them and don’t want others to have the chance to play it, but I don’t think that way. The more the merrier. There isn’t much of this vb scene as it is, lets just try to get along.

Amen, Seam.

 

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.