Original Post

I finished my Virtual Boy console conversion and needed an extension cable for the controller. Using Kevin Mellot’s models I was able to have connectors 3D printed and the result is the image attached. Really happy with how it turned out and I would highly recommend folks consider using Kevin’s models if they need an extension cable themselves.

Attachments:
18 Replies

Looking good! Glad it worked out.

What type of material did you end up printing with? I couldn’t get great prints with PLA, I bought a resin printer and am playing with that, but I’m not quite sure that’s the way to go. I know Kevin uses a carbon fiber material but that material is $200/spool and requires it’s own separate 3D printer from any normal printer you use, which is probably cost prohibitive for the average person.

brumbie13 wrote:
What type of material did you end up printing with? I couldn’t get great prints with PLA, I bought a resin printer and am playing with that, but I’m not quite sure that’s the way to go. I know Kevin uses a carbon fiber material but that material is $200/spool and requires it’s own separate 3D printer from any normal printer you use, which is probably cost prohibitive for the average person.

Which SLA machine? FormLabs just announced Tough 2000, which is their closest resin to ABS so far and they claim it’s great for connectors.

I purchased an Elegoo Mars for this project.

I have been experimenting with mixtures of a base black anycubic resin and Siraya Tech’s Blu resin, which is a much tougher resin for functional parts.

I have come close to figuring out a solution I am happy with through experimentation, but I have two main issues I’m running up against:

1) Parts of my edges are not forming correctly and so the edges don’t have the sharp clean lines I’m looking for. I have been watching videos on manually adding supports and I think that’s my answer. I’m not even really overly concerned with that, should be an easy one to solve with a bit more experimenting.

2) When I test fit parts, they work beautifully. However, what I have observed after many test fits is that the material is kind of wearing a bit and leaving a chalky residue. I’m not overly concerned about this for myself, but if I do a larger run of these for the community, I want to provide a product that looks good and functions properly. I think I wouldn’t be overly impressed if I bought a cable from someone and it started looking chalky after light use. This one is really bothering me and I’m not sure there’s going to be a resin solution to the problem.

I’m starting to think maybe using the resin for the casing after I get that dialed in and then looking toward a carbon fiber material like you use in your patch cable for the connectors themselves.

brumbie13 wrote:
I purchased an Elegoo Mars for this project.

I have been experimenting with mixtures of a base black anycubic resin and Siraya Tech’s Blu resin, which is a much tougher resin for functional parts.

I have come close to figuring out a solution I am happy with through experimentation, but I have two main issues I’m running up against:

1) Parts of my edges are not forming correctly and so the edges don’t have the sharp clean lines I’m looking for. I have been watching videos on manually adding supports and I think that’s my answer. I’m not even really overly concerned with that, should be an easy one to solve with a bit more experimenting.

2) When I test fit parts, they work beautifully. However, what I have observed after many test fits is that the material is kind of wearing a bit and leaving a chalky residue. I’m not overly concerned about this for myself, but if I do a larger run of these for the community, I want to provide a product that looks good and functions properly. I think I wouldn’t be overly impressed if I bought a cable from someone and it started looking chalky after light use. This one is really bothering me and I’m not sure there’s going to be a resin solution to the problem.

I’m starting to think maybe using the resin for the casing after I get that dialed in and then looking toward a carbon fiber material like you use in your patch cable for the connectors themselves.

You may need to adjust the models for SLA as well. You may know this but with 3D printing you usually start off with a design that should work, and then tweak it to work better with your 3D printer. So most of my parts have been tweaked to work well with the Markforged Onyx. The models may need tweaking for printing in other materials. You can use Tinkercad to make simple changes. I actually build all my models in Tinkercad from basic shapes.

I just got a sample part of the FormLabs Tough 2000. Not bad. This could probably be used to make connectors. It deforms a bit before cracking, which is good. It can also take a hit with a hammer without cracking. A connector would have thinner walls and so will take less impact but it would probably work.

If work buys some for testing, I’ll sneak in some test prints.

Are people still looking for extension cables? PM if so. If there’s enough interest I may do a run of them just because they haven’t become available from any other sources.

Extension parts in progress. I had to revise the controller connector a few times but they’re coming out nice and strong now.

And the first cable shipping out.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by mellott124.

Black version. Looks more like an original cable. Thinner and more flexible.

That looks awesome. Is it longer than your other one? If it doesn’t affect the signal, longer would be better.

RetroRGB wrote:
That looks awesome. Is it longer than your other one? If it doesn’t affect the signal, longer would be better.

5′. Not sure how long you can go without testing. What length are you interested in?

The original one I got from you is 5 feet long. It’s mostly a perfect fit, but when using two VB’s, a Virtual tap and arcade sticks as controllers, it’s cutting it a bit close. I think 6 feet would be perfect.

RetroRGB wrote:
The original one I got from you is 5 feet long. It’s mostly a perfect fit, but when using two VB’s, a Virtual tap and arcade sticks as controllers, it’s cutting it a bit close. I think 6 feet would be perfect.

I could try it. Send me an email.

How I do wish I could afford the Fight Sticks. I so badly want to add a couple to my arcade setup.

Virtual Boy Fight Sticks On Sale

tydyedsyko wrote:
How I do wish I could afford the Fight Sticks. I so badly want to add a couple to my arcade setup.

https://www.retrorgb.com/virtual-boy-fight-sticks-on-sale.html

Those are super cool. He posted on Twitter the other day and it looked like he was making his non-VB version. The links don’t work anymore.

I liked this quite a bit but never bought one. Might be cool for a console version.

Would you or anyone in the forums be willing to make/sell me a Virtual Boy extension cable? We can negotiate a price.

I still make them.

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.