Original Post

Hey,

As you know, we don’t have a link cable, or a suitable connector available for the VB. There’s several ways to make a cable that works, but in the end, it’s mostly ugly hacks for development/prototyping. I’ve been trying to come up with a way to make a quality cable that would just plug in… but so far have been unsuccessful.

So… it got me thinking… how about just making a proper cable? I contacted a custom part manufacturer (who I’ve used parts from in the past), and they said they could do it, but of course wouldn’t be “cheap”. I sort of based my design thoughts on the SNES A/V connector, which includes a plastic shell with crimp pins. So, I found some crimp pins which should work, but I didn’t have any way to make a 3D model of the plastic shell.

Well, of course I asked Hedgetrimmer (our resident 3D modeling expert), and he created a GREAT model of a plastic shell to house the pins. With that, I was able to verify with the MFG that it could be made, as well as get an estimate for price.

So, now here’s the question. They were right… it’s not cheap. A complete link cable would cost about $40, since the quantity would be so low. At this price, how many would be interested (and how many)? Would anyone want just the connector/pins?

There’d probably only be about 50 cables made, and this would probably be the only run, since I’m assuming the demand would be low. I don’t mind investing the money (and probably losing quite a bit on this project), since I think it’s a very worthwhile project… but, if I’m the only one that has any interest in it, there’s no point in even considering it further.

But, IMO this seems like a good time to pursue this, since homebrew is continually advancing, and I think linked homebrew has been held down by lack of link cable. Also, I assume some will be buying the new Flashboy, even though they already have an old Flashboy… so with two flash carts, why not have a cable to link the systems?

Of course, if there’s an unanticipated large interest in this, the price would come down… but we’re a pretty small community, and the homebrew crowd is really the only market for this.

Thanks,
DogP

381 Replies

Lester Knight wrote:
To clarify, this project picks up just the VB-to-VB link cable that DogP was working on or is this a completely new design?

This is a completely new design from scratch.

Nice to see someone picking it up. Looking at the cable pinout, if there are sync in/sync out on both ends, shouldn’t they be connected so that any unit can be the one sending the sync?

How many pieces of software are there currently that can use a link cable?

Sending PM…

This looks amazing, Kevin. Thank you so much for supporting the development scene with free cables!

Do you think a VB-to-USB cable would be possible, so the VB could speak to a computer? I am thinking about online Hyper Fighting versus play and such. 🙂

@e5frog
: Here’s a list of homebrews supporting the link cable:
– 3-D BattleSnake
– Hyper Fighting
– Tic Tac Toe
– Virtual Boy Link Cable Test

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by KR155E.

KR155E wrote:
This looks amazing, Kevin. Thank you so much for supporting the development scene with free cables!

Do you think a VB-to-USB cable would be possible, so the VB could speak to a computer? I am thinking about online Hyper Fighting versus play and such. 🙂

@e5frog
: Here’s a list of homebrews supporting the link cable:
– 3-D BattleSnake
– Hyper Fighting
– Tic Tac Toe
– Virtual Boy Link Cable Test

I’m going to stick to the basic VB to VB cable for now. I have a few other projects going in addition to this cable and don’t want to sideline them with another one. Once this VB to VB version is done, I’ll think more about the VB-to-USB version. Once the connectors are done and verified then other versions will be possible.

I’ve had some questions about cost of carbon fiber connectors. Just to clarify, they’re going to be black nylon carbon reinforced parts. It’s made from a material called Onyx which is black nylon with chopped carbon fiber. It also has the option of adding additional non-chopped carbon fiber. It’s very durable and has a nice finish. Durability is something I’m concerned about and I’ve met with the company and this material looks perfect for this project.

I may need to do a spin or two on the connector but the first prototypes are due next week. I’ll update here with pictures of the first units.

Kevin

I am so flipping excited for this! Now to get more games that utilize the cable 😀

That’s a great news, maybe too great as nobody answered my question LOL.

Arvester wrote:
A friend of mine wants to build a link cable. The problem is: there is to pinouts on planetVB !

In the wiki, we found at this address the following diagram:

(click for full size)

But in the workshop section, we find this diagram:

COMCNT? 1 ———- 1 COMCNT?
+5 2 –o o– 2 +5
Clock 3 ———- 3 Clock
Receive 4 ———- 8 Send
/we 5 –o o– 5 /we
Sync? 6 ———- 6 Sync?
GND 7 ———- 7 GND
Send 8 ———- 4 Receive

Pins 5 and 6 are different.
So, wich one is the good one ? Thanks by advance =)

The Development wiki seems to have a well motivated pinout, the Workshop version (that I assume is an earlier version) clearly states with question marks that they are unsure of the pin’s functions and no claims are made that it’s the proper pinout.

The wiki version however “A properly built cable connects the output pin (6) of one VB to the input pin (5) of the other, leaving the unused pin on each side unconnected, as in the following diagram:”

I guess someone with edit rights should update the workshop version or link to the wiki version instead of having alternate and confusing information.

I’ve actually picked this project up

So you squared it with Pat (dogP) ?

I know he’s put a lot of time and money into this project.

MineStorm wrote:

I’ve actually picked this project up

So you squared it with Pat (dogP) ?

I know he’s put a lot of time and money into this project.

There’s nothing to square. This is a completely independent project. I’m not sure I understand?

Nothing has happened (been written here) for a looong loooong time, I think everyone interested in a cable is happy someone actually tries to do something.

Let’s just encourage this guy and see if it happens this time.

e5frog is right; the one on the wiki is a confirmed, working pinout. IIRC it matches the one, official cable known to exist.

The sync line does indeed only go from one VB to the other. This is so the mirrors in the two VBs are synchronized, which helps keep the two VBs’ programs in sync (if they’re written correctly; much of the existing homebrew doesn’t use this feature). It’s technically not needed for simple data transfer, but it’s probably a good idea to leave it in.

First prototype parts come tomorrow. Here’s a sneak peak from the manufacturer. I see some rough edges in the pictures so surface finish may not be as smooth as I’d hoped but they should still be functional (fingers crossed!).

Are you also going to use pins from USB connectors or do you have some other source of connector pieces?

It seems the USB connection is what has delayed DogP for so many years, I’d be happy to get a USB version from him as well, should he turn up with a finished version any time in the future.

Project has been on since 2011, right?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by e5frog.

Can anyone who has actually used 2 player mode confirm the pinout?

I’ve used both the wiki and the other post on pinout. Neither work. I do see one VB syncing it’s displays to another. But can never get 2 player to work in either Hyper Fighting, TicTacToe, or 3D BattleSnake.

Nevermind. Just got it working in Hyper Fighting!!!

OK, first cable built. Needs some updates. And it’s a pain to build but it’s working. Hyper Fighting is definitely the smoothest as it doesn’t matter which end is plugged into which. Enter Versus mode and one VB waits for the other.

For TicTacToe and 3D-Battlesnake you have to select the correct player based on which end of the cable you have plugged in, so there’s boot order. Otherwise things just hang up.

I need to tighten up some of the dimensions and thicken a few things up here and there but otherwise it’s not too bad. I wish the surface finish was a bit more consistent. I’ll have to talk to the vendor to see what could be done.

Kevin

If you 3D print with ABS you can wipe it with or use an acetone fog to make the surface more smooth, other than that possibly sand it or sand it and paint it… 3D prints are a bit boring that way.

So I guess you should mark one end as master and the other slave, maybe with a piece of shrink tubing on one end or similar.

Are the shells 3D printed ?

Any chance I can have the .stl ?

Thanks

e5frog wrote:
If you 3D print with ABS you can wipe it with or use an acetone fog to make the surface more smooth, other than that possibly sand it or sand it and paint it… 3D prints are a bit boring that way.

So I guess you should mark one end as master and the other slave, maybe with a piece of shrink tubing on one end or similar.

I’ll try a few other materials. I’m going to have milling and molds quoted, although I’m guessing they’ll be too expensive, especially for the center piece.

The onyx material is nice structurally. The parts are very strong. The samples had a much better finish so I’m going to talk with Markforged. Maybe my vendor needs a cal on their machine. Not sure yet.

MineStorm wrote:
Are the shells 3D printed ?

Any chance I can have the .stl ?

Thanks

Yes the current prototype parts are 3D printed. For the current 20 or so cables people are requesting, the parts are likely to stay 3D printed.

I’m not sharing the design files at the moment. I may in the future.

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.