10 Replies

Thanks for sharing. I don’t recall reading before that Mario’s Tennis was going to be called Mario’s Dream Tennis. It still amazes me how much VB info is still out there.

Nice scans! First time I’ve seen Wario Cruise 😉

I’m guessing Devil Busters is what eventually became Jack Bros., too. Who knew so many VB games went through multiple names?

Glover wrote:
I’m guessing Devil Busters is what eventually became Jack Bros., too…

Yeah, with this game, I’m trying to figure out if “Devil Busters” was ever intended to be the title for the Japanese release, or if it was just contemplated as being the title for the North American release. The earliest mention of the game that I can find in all of the Japanese gaming magazines posted online to date is in the June 16, 1995 edition of Famitsu Magazine, where it was revealed that “Jack Bros.” was intended to be part of the title for the Japanese release. Chances are, the information in that magazine was probably ready for publishing about a month before the June 16, 1995 date, as is typical with the publication timelines of most gaming magazines. Now, this 1995 Nintendo Products catalogue would have been distributed at E3 during the period of May 11 – 13, 1995. With this information, it seems to me that the “Devil Busters” title may have only been being contemplated as the title for the North American market and not the Japanese market, but then they eventually decided to stick with the Japanese title even for the North American release. Otherwise, the “Devil Busters” title even for the Japanese market would have very quickly changed to “Jack Bros.” within this very small period of time.

Incidentally, I find what appears on page 31 to be amusing. It seems that Nintendo truly had intentions to include an AC adapter with the Virtual Boy systems and had that included when this products catalogue was printed off. But then, by the time this catalogue was going to be distributed at E3, they knew that the AC adapter wasn’t going to be included, so somebody had to go through each of these catalogues and cross out the AC adapter part with a marker.

Thanks for the great scans, Ben!

Did anyone notice how page 39 refers to Mario Clash as Mario Smash (bottom left)? Theories anyone?

Also great to finally have a good image of the prototype VB system box. Is it just me or does it look a bit better than the final box?

KR155E wrote:

No problem!

Did anyone notice how page 39 refers to Mario Clash as Mario Smash (bottom left)? Theories anyone?

Dang… I hadn’t noticed that before. “Smash” is certainly a vastly different word from “Clash” to be just a typo. Hmmm… Perhaps there is, indeed, the possibility that “Mario Smash” was going to be the title at one point, but when they went through the catalogue and updated everything to Clash, they forgot to update the one on page 39.

Also great to finally have a good image of the prototype VB system box. Is it just me or does it look a bit better than the final box?

I have also liked the image of the prototype box more than the retail box ever since I first saw images of it online, so it was nice to find such a high quality image of it.

KR155E wrote:

:thumpup: :thumpup: :thumpup:

I created a PDF file containing all of the introductory documents in the E3 1995 Nintendo Press Kit, as well as all of the News Releases that made mention of the Virtual Boy.

Benjamin Stevens wrote:

KR155E wrote:

Dang… I hadn’t noticed that before. “Smash” is certainly a vastly different word from “Clash” to be just a typo. Hmmm… Perhaps there is, indeed, the possibility that “Mario Smash” was going to be the title at one point, but when they went through the catalogue and updated everything to Clash, they forgot to update the one on page 39.

I don’t know where the footage is from, but see 6:41 of this video:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6412&forum=1&post_id=34519#forumpost34519

HorvatM wrote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:

KR155E wrote:

I don’t know where the footage is from, but see 6:41 of this video:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6412&forum=1&post_id=34519#forumpost34519

Wow… that is very conclusive, indeed. So “Mario Smash” truly was a working title for Mario Clash.

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.