Original Post

Since I highly doubt Nintendo Power did this, I thought I’d do it. Which do you like better? Nester’s Funky Bowling or 3-D Tetris? Both the PVB raters and NP rated 3-D Tetris slightly higher, but I disagree. While the game is fun to play, the fact that it’s in 3-D made the controls harder which really hampers the fun of it. They could have done something like Block-Out for the Lynx did and simplified the controls. I like Nester better. What say you?

15 Replies

Is it just between those two games or does Faceball and Bound High count?

Out of those two, it’s a tough choice, 3D Tetris has the time sucking ability Nester’s bowling doesn’t have…but I find Nesters bowling more fun to pick up and play. Because of the fun factor, I’m gonna give this one to Nester’s Bowling. But I must say, I have no problem sinking in way more time into 3D Tetris..it’s almost like perpetual Lego building =P

I definitely would go with Nester’s Funky Bowling. I never really liked Tetris of any sort, and 3D Tetris just gives me headaches. I’ve always enjoyed bowling in real life, so I think that has created a slight bias in gaming as well.

Nester’s Funky Bowling. I was disappointed by 3D Tetris.

Man if only Panic Bomber were a choice! It blows away 3d Tetris!

Why ha’ ye no’ made a wee surrr-vay for us tae fill oot, ye daftie?

(Sorry… I’ve been reading a lot of Discworld books featuring the Nac Mac Feegle lately, and Rob Anybody’s speech-pattern kinda rubbed off on me ;-))

I haven’t played either game for any considerable length of time, so my opinion is probably useless…

Puzzle games are generally more my style, but 3-D Tetris didn’t seem to grab me like I thought it would, despite (or maybe due to) having played the snot out of an old shareware 3D Tetris game (the name of which totally escapes me) back in the early 90’s on Windows 3.1.

On the other hand, I can’t imagine being anything other than bored out of my gourd by video bowling (without even a trackball interface to make it semi-realistic).

I’m gonna have to jump on the Nester’s Funky Bowling bandwagon as well. Definitely much more fun then Tetris.

I’m going to say Nester’s Bowling as well. I too love bowling in real life (got a 208 just the other day, thanks tp 5 strikes in a row 🙂 ). 3D Tetris feels like wasted potential to me. Those games never much appealed to me, ones like Panic Bomber or that SNES game Kirby’s Avalanche were always more fun. I’ve played Virtual Lab more than 3D Tetris…

If there was a way to stop that camera scrolling in 3D Tetris, it’d be way more fun…but I find that movement distracting to the point of not being tolerable.

Nesters Funky Bowling is better for me.

If you’ve seen my reviews of these, I think Nester’s Funky Bowling is better. I didn’t find 3D Tetris, albeit pretty impressive, not that fun to play.

To me the only redeeming factor of 3d Tetris is that it shows that true polygons are possible on the VB. But Hey Danb blew us all away w that using the Yeti engine and His Hunter port. Kudos Danb=D! >B

Definitely Nester’s Funky Bowling… I used to play that for hours on end until I FINALLY got a 300. Ugh… I don’t know how many 299s I got along the way… I think the game cheated. 😛

I also really enjoy bowling in real life, so maybe that has some influence. Sadly no 300 yet there (268 is my high :-/).

3D Tetris… I dunno. On the technical scale, I think it’s a good game… but I just don’t find it to be that much fun. I’ve probably played V-Tetris more… and definitely played Virtual Lab more (and though the game is horrible technically, I think Virtual Lab is actually fun).

DogP

To stop the automatic moving of the well in 3D Tetris, press Select while in a game.

DogP wrote:
and definitely played Virtual Lab more (and though the game is horrible technically, I think Virtual Lab is actually fun).

DogP

I played Virtual Lab for the first time last night, and now I see what you mean! Sooo basic. Also hilarious how the chick’s boobs stick out and bounce slightly..must have been what they spent the most time on =P

But I’d have to say I’d rather play 3D tetris..mainly because I’m not quite sure how to create full “intestines” (what I’m gonna call them). The end pieces don’t seem show up enough =P Need more practice I guess.

speedyink wrote:
I played Virtual Lab for the first time last night, and now I see what you mean! Sooo basic. Also hilarious how the chick’s boobs stick out and bounce slightly..must have been what they spent the most time on =P

Exactly. Between the bouncing boobs and her getting excited when you clear a big chunk of intestines… that accounts for 90% of Virtual Lab’s development time.

speedyink wrote:
But I’d have to say I’d rather play 3D tetris..mainly because I’m not quite sure how to create full “intestines” (what I’m gonna call them). The end pieces don’t seem show up enough =P Need more practice I guess.

You don’t really need the end pieces very much… you can (and should) use the walls to complete your intestines as well.

Oh, and only kinda related to this thread (since we’re talking about bowling)… I bowled a 279 tonight (IRL). 11 strikes with a 9-spare in the 4th (Grr… so close).

DogP

DogP wrote:
You don’t really need the end pieces very much… you can (and should) use the walls to complete your intestines as well.

Oh, and only kinda related to this thread (since we’re talking about bowling)… I bowled a 279 tonight (IRL). 11 strikes with a 9-spare in the 4th (Grr… so close).

DogP

Ahhh! Thanks for that, that makes it easier!

Congrats on the game, as for me I haven’t gotten close to that yet. Sounds like you just need a lucky night and you could do it! It’s been too long since I’ve bowled…I should start doing it again.

Played Nester’s bowling some more. Love those animation clips =P Really gives the game character.

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.