Original Post

I am in the process of making foam kits so people can buy & fully restore their blockbuster cases. I know others already sell repo stickers for it.

Update 2: All the foam has been designed and finalized. Here is the final result. I have placed an order for 1/2 foam and then I can continue to the next step. I will be using two sheets of 2” inch foam stacked instead of 4 inch. It saves on costs and will help users
Feedback or replies greatly appreciated

-UPDATE 3: Instruction manual has been created

-UPDATE 4: pre-order (CLOSED)

UPDATE 5: available to order: https://www.deviantart.com/virtualboyshop

  • This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Schwanck.
  • This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Schwanck.
  • This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Schwanck.
  • This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Schwanck.
  • This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Schwanck.
  • This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Schwanck.
  • This topic was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Schwanck.
  • This topic was modified 8 months ago by Schwanck.
10 Replies

Update 2 progress

  • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Schwanck.
  • This reply was modified 8 months ago by Schwanck.
  • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Schwanck.

Order is now open:

https://www.deviantart.com/virtualboyshop

  • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Schwanck.
  • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Schwanck.

This is awesome!! I have always been looking for options to replace the inside foam because mine was completely destroyed when it was shipped to me 🙁 .

.

  • This reply was modified 9 months ago by Schwanck.
  • This reply was modified 9 months ago by Schwanck.
  • This reply was modified 9 months ago by Schwanck.
  • This reply was modified 8 months ago by Schwanck.

Here’s a photo from a user when it’s completed

It’s awesome you made repair foam! I’ll probably grab a set!
If you don’t mind, had some feedback I noticed compared to the original that perhaps you could incorporate into a 2nd revision?

In the picture, it sort of looks like the virtual boy visor is being pushed on and distorted by the case foam whereas in the original there is a gap that keeps it away.

Also noticed in the original, there is some gap by the controller buttons so the foam doesnt put pressure on them and weaken their spring over time.

See the photos I attached. Could probably also just cut the existing foam but thought I’d give the feedback to get your thoughts!

  • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by VueFinder.

These were preview photos, not even assembled in a case and glued since I didn’t have a way to test these for quit some time. The visor won’t have any distortion. The controller is a little snug but do not need to worry about springs. This is mostly due to my foam being firmer:more durable than the original foam.

Original was most likely charcoal foam while this is Polyethylene Foam

This photo is from the vb decade case so ignore the extra cut outs

  • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Schwanck.

oh, nice. so the visor does sit ok in there! So that’s good to see then! I might still cut a little away from the controller buttons just so they’re not under constant pressure. Ive seen the rubber membrane weaken on controllers where they don’t spring back as strong when theyre stored for a while with pressure on the buttons.

 

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.