Original Post

PVB CODING COMPETITION 2013 Rules
(Updated Sept 1 – Prize)

Rules:

– Deadline for entries is January 1, 2014 0:00 GMT+1.

– Any type of program running on the Virtual Boy or a Virtual Boy emulator is allowed, be it a game, demo, application, emulator, port or anything else.

– Also allowed are supplemental tools for VB development.

– Entries have to be open source, so make sure to include source code in your release.

– Multiple entries are allowed, but will be rated individually (means you can’t collect votes through multiple projects). This means on one hand, that your project will compete with each other, on the other hand that, if they’re all good, you’ll maximize your chance of winning with one of the projects.

– Projects, which already competed in any previous PVB coding competition, are not allowed to take part.

– After the deadline, a community vote will find the winner. The vote will be secret, every user registered before September 1, 2013 can vote. Sorry to everybody who is excluded by this, but it is a precautionary measure so that nobody can vote using fake accounts. Of course, users registered after September 1, 2013 can take part in the competition and send in a project. In that case, this user will also be able to vote.

Prize:

A limited run of 20 complete-in-box copies of the winner’s project will be produced and send to them.

Project Submission:

– Open a thread in the Coding Competition forum for your project and attach it to the post.

– As the topic title, please use the name of your project plus the prefix “[ENTRY]”, so entries can better be seen (for example “[ENTRY] Pacman”).

– You can post as many versions as you want and gather feedback from the community.

• This topic was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by KR155E.
7 Replies

How does submitting a supporting tool even make sense if the first price is a reproduction of a vb game?

Also… the first price is just the reproduction right? So I would have to publish everything open source only so that someone else can sell it? Will the winner at least get one of those reproductions for free?

thunderstruck wrote:
Also… the first price is just the reproduction right? So I would have to publish everything open source only so that someone else can sell it? Will the winner at least get one of those reproductions for free?

The winner will receive all 20 copies for free and can do with them whatever he wants. Sell them, give them for free to the other contestants, make them prizes for sweepstakes… or even keep them all for himself if he wishes. 😉

thunderstruck wrote:
How does submitting a supporting tool even make sense if the first price is a reproduction of a vb game?

In the unlikely event that a tool wins, we’ll have to find another solution. The winner could choose another game to be produced for example.

KR155E wrote:

thunderstruck wrote:

The winner will receive all 20 copies for free and can do with them whatever he wants. Sell them, give them for free to the other contestants, make them prizes for sweepstakes… or even keep them all for himself if he wishes. 😉

thunderstruck wrote:

In the unlikely event that a tool wins, we’ll have to find another solution. The winner could choose another game to be produced for example.

Ok, I got that all wrong. That’s actually pretty cool.

Sounds like fun! I doubt I’ll have time to make a “contender”, but maybe I’ll get a chance between now and January to put something together that’s at least enjoyable.

Are ports fair game? This seems like a great opportunity to finally get a Doom or Wolfenstein 3D port on the VB. 😉

Definitely looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

DogP

thunderstruck wrote:
Ok, I got that all wrong. That’s actually pretty cool.

Looking forward to your project! 🙂

DogP wrote:
Are ports fair game? This seems like a great opportunity to finally get a Doom or Wolfenstein 3D port on the VB. 😉

According to the rules, ports are expressly allowed. Plus Doom on VB would be long due awesomeness! 🙂

Not a huge fan of FPS games, but I agree that it would be great to finally see one of those ports. I have no doubt DogP can make it happen, too (although I would understand if he didn’t get enough free-time to finish).

Regarding thunderstruck’s question about “tool” entries: I’ve never thought it very fair to put them in with the games/demos. They should be judged on their own merits as compared with other development tools. Maybe there could be a separate category for tools, with the prize being a FlashBoy and/or a link cable (or the parts to make one). This would help the winner use his/her tool(s) to make more VB games (especially link-enabled ones)!

Write a reply

The forum ‘PVB Coding Competition 2013’ is closed to new topics and replies.