Original Post

I’ve been working on this for about two months and I’d like to hear what you think about it. The code and graphics are based on SU2010, but improved.

This alpha has one level and shows most of the new additions.

What’s new since SU2010:
– Synchronization with the VIP. It should now look correctly on hardware. If it does, I’ll port SU2010 to the new engine. If it doesn’t, help me fix it.
– Enemies flash when they are hurt.
– Lots of new enemy types.
– A scrolling background picture (several in fact, but this alpha only shows one).
– Automatic pause, though I don’t know whether the time limit is good enough.

What isn’t done yet but is planned:
– Difficulty settings. (I admit, the level is brutal.)
– Multiple weapons.
– Sound effects.
– Music.

So, give it a try, and tell me your opinion.

Should I even continue working on it?
Do you have any suggestions?
Does it work well on hardware?
Should I keep the fake Cyrillic or does it make things hard to read?
Do the 3D effects work or did I screw them up again?
Did anyone ever beat SU2010?

23 Replies

My biggest gripes are the limited ammo and all enemies taking multiple hits. Unlimited ammo for primary weapons and basic enemies dying in one shot are shooter staples. It is much more playable than SU2010 so you’re making good progress.

StealthNinjaScyther wrote:
My biggest gripes are the limited ammo and all enemies taking multiple hits. Unlimited ammo for primary weapons and basic enemies dying in one shot are shooter staples.

Well, I’ve watched playthroughs of many shooters (1942, Gradius, R-Type, etc.) and while they didn’t seem bad, the players were almost constantly shooting and rarely dodging. My goal is to make a game where strategy and defense are more important. In fact, there isn’t a single time you have to shoot; you can beat the whole level simply by dodging. This also applies to SU2010.

It is much more playable than SU2010 so you’re making good progress.

Thank you. But in what sense is it more playable?

Anyway, here’s a new alpha. The level hasn’t changed much but the engine has two main improvements:

– After a long chat session with dasi, it should look much better on hardware now.
– There is now sound! And music too, technically, but I haven’t put any music tracks in yet. But there are some sound effects.

Feedback is welcome (and expected). It would also be nice if someone could record what the audio sounds like on hardware.

Attachments:

You’ve fixed the slowdown, but not the graphics corruption. The backround isn’t displayed correctly on the right screen, and there’s no sound.

Any update on this ? I was really looking forward to playing it again 🙂

I’d like to finish it, but the community doesn’t seem to have much interest…

If anyone can help with the graphics/sounds issues, contact me and I’ll send you the code.

Actually, I am following this with much interest and also tried your preview version, but, unfortunately, I can not find the time to lend a helping hand. I bet I am not the only one, so it would be wrong to say there’s no interest – although it might look like that. 😉

Here’s something that could be called a release version.

It probably still has tons of bugs, so there will be updates. Feedback is welcome.

Hey KR155E, will there be a HOTY this year? 🙂

Attachments:

Finally added the game to the database, sorry for the delay! Downloads, Screens, and more details to be added.

I don’t think a HOTY would make much sense for 2011 with only 2 projects been worked on that year. Or am I forgetting a project? Anyway, it might make more sense to allow those for the next coding competition, if we can hold one this year.

Version 1.1 is here! This is an update that, among other things, fixes the game to work much better on hardware, thanks to a very generous donation of a FlashBoy Plus by Richard. Sound, for example, now works.

The changes since version 1 (the one above) are listed in the file Changes.txt. The readme file has been updated as well.

Feedback is welcome.

KR155E, can you enable high scores for this game? It needs six charts:

Story mode, easy
Story mode, medium
Story mode, hard
Endless mode, easy
Endless mode, medium
Endless mode, hard

Attachments:

Been crazy around here..but I’ll find time to try this out 🙂 been looking forward to it.

Cool! Will try it out and add the highscore tables! 🙂

Version 1.2 is out. This release primarily adds new music and sound effects. It also fixes some minor bugs.

– There is now a demo mode. If you leave the game on the title screen for five seconds, you will see the game play itself.

– There is now music on the title screen.

– The automatic pause feature now works correctly.

– Player death is now accompanied by a sound effect.

– There are now sound effects in the menu screens.

– Cannon ships now produce only one sound and not one for each projectile when shooting.

– Satellites no longer mysteriously reappear after being killed.

– Fixed background parallax effects.

Attachments:

I’ll grab this version for reviewing right away. With the last version, there was plenty of graphical glitches. Is that due to being played on Flashboy or is it just a flaw? And is it fixed?

Protoman85 wrote:
With the last version, there was plenty of graphical glitches.

1.2 fixes only some parallax bugs. I’m aware that turning the VB off and on again too soon can cause glitches, and the title screen can appear scrambled. But other than that, I don’t know what you mean, as I myself used a FlashBoy Plus for testing. I’ve just played through the whole game and it seemed fine.

Awesome. This game is so much fun yet very challenging. I hope to post a high score if I can ever beat the story mode. Just how many levels are in the story mode anyway?

HorvatM wrote:

Protoman85 wrote:
With the last version, there was plenty of graphical glitches.

1.2 fixes only some parallax bugs. I’m aware that turning the VB off and on again too soon can cause glitches, and the title screen can appear scrambled. But other than that, I don’t know what you mean, as I myself used a FlashBoy Plus for testing. I’ve just played through the whole game and it seemed fine.

I’ll trust you and won’t complain if there’s glitchy graphics when I play then. When I tried it yesterday however most the ships started breaking up into glitches as soon as I fired anything… Super Bounce does the same, glitches out when the screen scrolls…

Never mind, it appeared that I had the wrong version, what I thought was 2011 was an old version of 2010.

P.S: I’m impressed

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
Just how many levels are in the story mode anyway?

Five. They’re the same for all mode and difficulty combinations.

Man… and I still can’t make it past level 3 on difficulty level Easy. I certainly died many a time already in attempts to do so. I’m really going to have to practice up on this game if I ever plan to beat it on Easy, let alone Hard!

HorvatM wrote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
Just how many levels are in the story mode anyway?

Five. They’re the same for all mode and difficulty combinations.

Youre right it’s really hard !
By the way if you try to update it later I would like to help. Here some prototype sprites:
VB VIRTUAL BEN

Attachments:

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.