Original Post

In this thread we all want to post cool, spectacular, noteworthy, jaw-dropping […] Virtual Boy auctions on ebay, Yahoo or any other site…

At first here are two auctions on Yahoo Japan (Always cooool stuff on there!) for the japanese Nintendo Store Display:

➡<http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/58915948>

➡<http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c39350994>

KR155E

2,110 Replies

Virtual Boy Lighted 3D Store Display Sign Promo Promotional

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223623316728?ul_noapp=true

Wow,searching for this since my first VB,very rare…I love the VB sign.
This sign is new and in perfect condition but the price….
crazy… 😕

Cosmoliner wrote:
Virtual Boy Lighted 3D Store Display Sign Promo Promotional

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223623316728?ul_noapp=true

Wow,searching for this since my first VB,very rare…I love the VB sign.
This sign is new and in perfect condition but the price….
crazy… 😕

Yeah that price is hilarious. It’s just the topper for the demo kiosk, and the demo kiosk probably sells for less than he has this sign up for lol.

He does have the Best Offer option, though, so he probably doesn’t expect it to sell for anywhere near that and simply wants to take his time and see what best offers are given, and if the best offer in the near future is considerably larger than the second best one, then he can get more for it than if he had let it go to auction, in which case he’d only get a little more than the second best offer, which makes sense.

Benjamin Stevens schrieb:
He does have the Best Offer option, though, so he probably doesn’t expect it to sell for anywhere near that and simply wants to take his time and see what best offers are given, and if the best offer in the near future is considerably larger than the second best one, then he can get more for it than if he had let it go to auction, in which case he’d only get a little more than the second best offer, which makes sense.

I think it go’s for 1500$-2000$

Panic Bomber Japanese Prototype. Seller says it’s identical to the commercial release and already dumped. Still cool though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Virtual-Boy-Prototype-Cart-Tobidase-Panibon-Panic-Bomber/123880544125?hash=item1cd7db177d:g:hAgAAOSw27RdW~VE

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Levine91.

To prevent confusion: Please note that this is the JAPANESE version, as seen on the description.

Damn, I was hoping this one would sneak by everyone so I’d have a chance.

Oh well, yes, it is cool to see one of these pop up.

BigDen wrote:
To prevent confusion: Please note that this is the JAPANESE version, as seen on the description.

My bad, brainfart

I wouldt like (to have) this…..if I win in the lottery 😉

https://www.ebay.de/itm/RARE-BRAND-NEW-Nintendo-Gameboy-Original-DMG-Kiosk-Boxed/123881816506?hash=item1cd7ee81ba:g:MfQAAOSwHwddHh5i

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Cosmoliner.

Woowee, $787. Not too crazy actually as far as VB stuff can be, but still out of my price range. Anyone here get that prototype?

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Yamagushi.

As did I with the same research except didn’t find original prices. All I know is at least 2 prototype of Panic bomber exist because he has an extra one.

Yeah, VB prototypes come up very rarely. There’s not a whole lot to go on for them. Except that one guy who wants a couple thousand for a V Baseball, but that’s a bit absurd.

speedyink wrote:
Yeah, VB prototypes come up very rarely. There’s not a whole lot to go on for them. Except that one guy who wants a couple thousand for a V Baseball, but that’s a bit absurd.

Yeah and that guy openly admits that he knows nothing about VB protos or collecting, he even came to me for info and advice on NintendoAge. His reasoning for pricing it the way he did was that he figured it belonged in about the same price range as a mid-range TurboGrafx 16 prototype (spoiler alert: it doesn’t) based solely on the relative obscurity of the systems.

This isn’t “the going price”, it’s a wild guess from a seller with the hopes that some collector with more money than sense will take the bait (and if someone actually did take the bait at that price, THEN we could recognize it as the going/selling rate for VB protos).

Quaze wrote:
he even came to me for info and advice on NintendoAge.

Ha, that’s kinda funny, he was asking me about it on Assemblergames. Just by the way the conversation went I could tell he’s just going for top dollar and not a whole lot of interest in it other than that

Yamagushi wrote:
Mhmm. Rough part is having pretty much no reference for value or just how many of these are out in the wild. Did a ton of looking around, even found out the seller is a member here in the process. Found a little bit on price, but it was like 4-5 years ago. And other than that specific member, I couldn’t even really find anyone talking about owning any. Best I could do is watch what other people were willing to pay in the bidding war.

As for all of the supposedly genuine prototype carts that are accounted for as being in private hands, there was the genuine prototype cart of Faceball owned by the original “Mr. G,” pics of which got posted on DogP’s old website. There was supposedly a genuine prototype cart of the North American version of Mansion of Insmouse, at least once in the possession of an administrator at Assembler games. There are old talks on various forums of a supposed genuine prototype cart of Dragon Hopper in the possession of someone who will never let anybody near it. These 3 prototype carts, two of which having their genuineness in question, will likely never make it into anybody else’s hands, at least not publicly. That leaves the one Japanese Jack Bros prototype cart, the two Japanese Panic Bomber prototype carts, the Virtual League Baseball prototype cart, and the recently announced Bound High! prototype cart, so 5, as the only ones out there that are known and that might publicly exchange hands in the future (the original Bound High! ROM came from source code and not a prototype cart, I believe).

There was also an original prototype cart for Space Pinball, but it only fits in a prototype Virtual Boy.

So if one wants to attach a price to them based on coolness of being a Virtual Boy thing and rarity, that’s the current data to go by.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Yamagushi.
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Yamagushi.
  • This reply was modified 4 years ago by Yamagushi.

Funny thing, over 10 years ago, the owner of the Jack Bros and Panic Bomber prototypes called me on my phone to ask me about the rarity of those. No idea where he got my number from. IIRC, we later also talked through PM and I bought a VUE-Debugger video output board from him through ebay.

BTW, there also was a prototype of Virtual Bowling, of which DogP had pictures on his site. He borrowed it from its owner alongside Faceball and a VUE-Debugger. It was just the final version with the debug menu enabled, though.

Yamagushi wrote:
I didn’t know that about Space Pinball, I thought it was just like the others, do you still have that one?

I never had the genuine Space Pinball prototype cart in my possession. I still have a “fake” that someone made before the ROM got released publicly (and I bought the “fake” after the ROM had been released publicly, as it was only then, it seemed, that the one who owned it before me was willing to sell it). Someone had taken the Space Pinball ROM, which had been dumped and was being passed around privately, and they transferred that ROM to a genuine Virtual Boy EP-ROM cart, making it look like it could have been a genuine prototype cart, but the true Space Pinball prototype cart was not an EP-ROM cart but was a FLASH ROM Cart.

KR155E wrote:
BTW, there also was a prototype of Virtual Bowling, of which DogP had pictures on his site.

Ah, yes… I remember that one now, too!

Oh I see. My mistake.

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.