Original Post

lookin to buy another virtual boy but damn, i swear the prices on ebay have gone up in just the last 6 months. last i checked you could get a virtual boy with the stand and foam eyepiece part and ac adapter for 100 or less. i just dont get it. figured i would see if anyone had one they felt like lettin go here on the forums. ideally for like 75-100$ but maybe im just being unrealistic?

9 Replies

Unfortunately the virtual boy is an expensive system to collect for. No cheap options unless you get lucky in the wild (or have connections). If you have a little Ingenuity you could probably buy a system without a stand and a few cheap games. Then maybe get a flash boy? It will still set you back a bit, but at least you would have the ability to play (almost) every game without actually buying them. Then you get to try out the homebrews too!

I’m not sure how it is nowadays but maybe emulation with some kind of VR setup work also?

Best of luck though. I’ve never seen deals on here that are better than what you could normally get on eBay.

What I can tell you straight is that the prices for VB Items on ebay are nonsense and nobody should buy it there!

There was a time when you just went to buyee/Yahoo auction and get the stuff. Now the japanese put all their stuff on ebay and add ridiculous amounts of money on the asking price + asking scarya amounts for shipping.
Here is a very good example right now:
(also made screenshots just in case)

Buyee:
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/u145560835
11 Games 160 USD

And now have a look at ebay!
https://www.ebay.de/itm/VIRTUAL-BOY-11-game-Lot-Japan/182876517739?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D1b1ad75c772d45c39ace42b6c9d393a9%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D302669499537%26itm%3D182876517739&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Same picturs, same games double the price plus shipping!
This is a general Ripoff and they all do this on ebay now.
People are asking for 400 USD for a boxed VB.
This prices are not justified at all because there is enough supply left.
The same goes for games Like Mario Clash japanese. This was a common a cheap game and still is but they sell it for like 80 USD or more BUT show a full factory box of like 20 new copies of the game and writing RARE! Fuck them!
In my oppinon, we really should make a PVB post on the front page letting people know what kind of scam is going on with VB items on ebay!

Fire-WSP wrote:
What I can tell you straight is that the prices for VB Items on ebay are nonsense and nobody should buy it there!

There was a time when you just went to buyee/Yahoo auction and get the stuff. Now the japanese put all their stuff on ebay and add ridiculous amounts of money on the asking price + asking scarya amounts for shipping.
Here is a very good example right now:
(also made screenshots just in case)

Buyee:
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/u145560835
11 Games 160 USD

And now have a look at ebay!
https://www.ebay.de/itm/VIRTUAL-BOY-11-game-Lot-Japan/182876517739?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D1b1ad75c772d45c39ace42b6c9d393a9%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D302669499537%26itm%3D182876517739&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Same picturs, same games double the price plus shipping!
This is a general Ripoff and they all do this on ebay now.
People are asking for 400 USD for a boxed VB.
This prices are not justified at all because there is enough supply left.
The same goes for games Like Mario Clash japanese. This was a common a cheap game and still is but they sell it for like 80 USD or more BUT show a full factory box of like 20 new copies of the game and writing RARE! Fuck them!
In my oppinon, we really should make a PVB post on the front page letting people know what kind of scam is going on with VB items on ebay!

Doesn’t Buyee charge a substantial fee for shipping to someone outside fo Japan? I was always under the impression they charged for the proxy service. If not, then I need to get my shit together and look there more.

They do but even with this, it would not even come anywhere close. The buyee fees are more or less okay. I buy often there.

Fire-WSP wrote:
They do but even with this, it would not even come anywhere close. The buyee fees are more or less okay. I buy often there.

Ah, good to know! I was under the impression that the fees they charged made up the difference in what eBay folks were asking.

EDIT: I too have noticed a huge surge in VB game and console prices. While going back for my video series on the games I normally go over what they’re currently going for in the market and I nearly had a heart attack when I saw what a loose Mario’s Tennis goes for. I remember when you’d be tripping over sellers trying to throw these games away. Now I see loose ones go for $10+!

yea its crazy. pretty upsetting really

so i bought what looks to be a mint condition virtual boy with stand and controller and charger with a seemingly mint condition blockbuster case for 220$ (plus 30 shipping) do u think i got ripped off? I feel like the case alone made it worth it. like the virtual boy and case are in unbelievable condition. looks like theyve never been used. what are your thoughts guys

Wow, has the Blockbuster case really gotten that expensive? I paid $50 for mine 5 years ago, and all that was wrong was a single piece of foam was missing so I simply added a foam bracer in its place.

yeah I wanted to buy Inmouse No Yakata. it used to be around 100$ for a long while, now its getting close to 200…wtf?

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.