The Red Castle is a short dungeon crawler created in C using libgccvb. You play as a bird who is trying to escape from a castle. To progress through the castle, use your flashlight to defeat enemy marionettes, solve puzzles, and collect keys. Switch between the foreground and the background to sneak around blocks and enemies. But be careful, the marionettes can and will follow you. You may need to run away to give your flashlight time to recharge.
- The Left D-Pad of the controller is used for moving the player.
- The Right D-Pad can be pressed to use the flashlight. Direction of the flashlight corresponds to the direction inputted on the D-Pad.
- The left trigger moves the player to the foreground while the right trigger moves the player to the background.
- The A button allows the player to dash in the direction that they are currently moving in. This direction can only be up, down, left, or right.
- The start button can be used to begin the game on the title screen and pause the game. The A button can be used to skip the introductory story segment.
- The game is designed for use on the Virtual Boy system. Players using an emulator may have trouble distinguishing between the foreground and the background.
- A special kind of enemy type, the ghost, cannot be defeated with the flashlight.
- You need to know how to dash in order to complete the game.