Original Post

I thought it might be fun to have a contest for best eInk art for display on the HyperFlash32 eInk display. Winner will get a free HyperFlash32 cart ($150 value). This contest is open to anyone, even existing buyers. I’ll refund your cart price if you’ve already paid or give you a second free one.

The idea is to generate eInk labels that would be associated with a loaded ROM file. This is flashed to the screen so that you know what game is currently programmed. It’s meant as a changeable game label.

You can see the visible area of the image below in the picture of approximately 226 x 168 pixels set within a 264 x 176 frame. Your image needs to be 264 x 176 in size but only the 226×168 offset image will be visible once on the cart. Image needs to be in 4 gray shades to match the display: black, white, and two intermediate shades. Saved as a 24bit BMP file (this is what I need to convert to an eInk format). I’ve also attached an image showing an example 4 shades of gray available on the display, as well as some images I’ve done already. Be aware that the images I’ve done in the examples are NOT offset properly. To keep everything consistent in the conversion on my end lets use gray levels 0xFFFFFF, 0x000000,0xC0C0C0, and 0x808080.

The images I’ve done were ripped/modified from various existing labels/places. This may not be the best approach as they were not originally designed for a 4 grayscale display. But I won’t restrict people in any way. Feel free to do what you think is best.

For judging, I’ll put the images on an eInk display and pick my favorite 3. I was going to let the community vote via a poll, but someone brought to my attention that cheating would be very easy via a poll. So I’ll be the judge on this one but I’ll pick my top 3 favorites. Then I’ll randomly pick out of a hat from the top three for the final grand prize. I’ll pick the top 3 on May 1st. Then select the top one. I’m likely to have a 2nd and 3rd place prize as well. TBD on what those are.

To enter, just post your image here in this thread when its ready. By posting and entering the contest you’re open to letting others use your image on their own personal HyperFlash carts. The idea is to share labels.

Let me know if you have any questions. I reserve the right to modify the contest slightly just in case some issues arise that I didn’t think of but the general idea will remain untouched.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by mellott124.
165 Replies

TheRedMenace latest batch.

I think if you spent some time on the Mario Tennis one to clean up the graphics, it would really stand out. Just my opinion of course.

For the sake of clarity, I figured I probably should post here the extra Red Alarm and redone Innsmouth images that I released via my other post (the innsmouth image is only so people can see what it looks like, and is included with the rest in the .zip)

Thanks for getting them up on the display, I have to agree that they do look a bit better outlined, on the e-ink screen. 🙂

These are coming along great.
You spelled immerse incorrectly, fyi 😉

Oh oops haha, guess I wasn’t paying enough attention, thanks for the heads up. I’ll get on to fixing that :P.

(edit) Fixed! I’ve also updated the folder on my other post. Thanks again for bringing it to light.

@Kevin: Super nice of you to give away two carts. Thanks again for the great work you do.

Here is another one from me. I’m a bit slow 🙂

Edit: I’ll most likely create my own thread for these labels and update in that one whenever I’m done with a new design.

Mumphy wrote:
@Kevin: Super nice of you to give away two carts. Thanks again for the great work you do.

Here is another one from me. I’m a bit slow 🙂

Edit: I’ll most likely create my own thread for these labels and update in that one whenever I’m done with a new design.

Nice! I like your designs for sure. I’ll try this one soon as I get a chance.

Last Minute, but I definitely wanted to do a few. Any excuse for pixel art!

Cheers,
Ben

Attachments:

Hi everyone 🙂

Here comes a label for Mario’s Tennis – multiplayer patched version.

Cheers,
Stereo

Here’s the Morintari latest batch. All good ones. I particularly like the Space Invader one.

And Stereoboy. The graphics are really clean on the display. Was portrait intentional? The white background label is a nice contrast to a lot of the other labels. Nice job.

This is my last one. I have few more I want to make, that I’ll keep working on after the contest. I’m really impressed with what everyone has come up with!

Cheers,
Ben

Attachments:

mellott124 wrote:
Was portrait intentional?

Thanks 🙂 Yes, I had trouble to fit these elements into a nice landscape layout, so I tried a portrait one.

My last label for the contest: Mario Clash 🙂

EDIT: I didn’t know about the 6 AM deadline and thought it was set to max 12 AM.
Now I feel a bit sad, but I’m still proud of my work.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by ghosto95.

I actually just got up. Had a late night working. I’ll draw the line here.
A lot of great entries. I’ll have a post tonight with my selections. Thanks!

Oh, what a luck! I’m happy I could deliver it in time.
Thank you for confirming.

I agree, good luck everyone! 🙂

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.