Original Post

I’ve decided that since I have absolutely no experience whatsoever playing RPGs, that I am not a good candidate of programming one, so instead, I’m going to work on a fighting game (while I also have no experience playing a fighting game, I’d figure it’d be a lot easier programming one than an RPG.) So here’s my latest brainchild: Insect Combat. Right now, it’s just a warning screen and a title screen. The only two characters I’ve thought of so far are Gi-Ant and Behe-Moth. Any other punny names you guys can think of would also be appreciated.

Attachments:
399 Replies

I reduced the copymem statements and it seems to be working faster, except when it’s getting a new copymem statement (when it’s done punching or jumping). I’d still like someone to go through my (messy, I guess) code and see what’s going on, though. (code and ROM are in the attached zip file.)

🙂 I’m happy I could help. I can go through your code in depth if I find some time. I really like how your game develops. I won’t do it this year though. But if you provide my with the full source some-when next year I will see what I can do.

Hello, new year, new update. The game is in working condition, there are however a few problems:
On real hardware, the music slows down when punching or jumping, then speeds up again when you’re done.
On both real hardware and Mednafen, when punching, there are three white squares in the ant’s butt. I don’t know what’s causing this.

Happy new year. Thanks going to give this a go later.

I didn’t even know this game existed. I’ll give it a try soon.

VirtualChris wrote:
Hello, new year, new update. The game is in working condition, there are however a few problems:
On real hardware, the music slows down when punching or jumping, then speeds up again when you’re done.
On both real hardware and Mednafen, when punching, there are three white squares in the ant’s butt. I don’t know what’s causing this.

Thanks for the new update. Just tried out the new demo and it looks like it’s coming along well. I like the music so far, and the controls seem very responsive. Those white squares on the ant’s butt aren’t too noticeable. 😉

Please credit me if you’re going to use my sound engine.

OK, I’ll add something in the credits. You want to be credited as HorvatM, or do you want to tell me your real name?

VirtualChris wrote:
OK, I’ll add something in the credits. You want to be credited as HorvatM, or do you want to tell me your real name?

He has placed his real name on his profile page:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/usercenter/index.php?section=profile&uid=930

OK, I got rid of the white squares on the ant’s butt but now I have a new problem occurring on real hardware: There is a slight pause when you press A and before the ant begins punching or when you press Up and before the ant begins jumping. I’m wondering what is causing this. Can someone look through my code perhaps and tell me if/how I can stop this? The code as well as the game is in the attached file.

I’ve decided to go with a more cartoonish look. I don’t want to put out the ROM yet because I still have to work on the jumping and punching routines I drew up for Gi-Ant. Just making him crawl took about 3 hours alone and about a dozen revisions of the picture to make there not be any “floating specks” above Gi-Ant.

Attachments:

OK, let me know if there are any glitchy spots. I tried to get rid of all of them.

I fixed a whole bunch of glitches from the previous today’s version. Everything should be fine. Tell me if it isn’t.

OK, I’m back working on this again. A few things are broken, like the Credits and Behe-Moth, but for the most part, things are working OK. Just don’t pick Behe-Moth as your fighter. All you can do right now is walk around, punch and jump. At first my Flashboy was glitchy when I tested this on real hardware, but now it seems to be acting OK.

Introduced Behe-Moth and fixed credits bug. Tell me if you see anything odd or unusual.

OK, I had to change the stages a little bit and they look a little less thrilling, but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how I did the bee stage, so when it came time to do the anthills, I had to start all over again with the bee hive also. Everything should be more uniform for future work on arena designs, though.

Got the opponent in as well, but he doesn’t do anything.
Glitches:
When Behemoth falls back down after jumping, his wing is out of place.

That’s the only one I’ve noticed so far, and I don’t know why it’s happening. It may be that I designed Behemoth’s sprites wrong, but I don’t think I did.

OK, his wing should be fixed. Let me know if you download it and find any other glitches.

Here is Behemoth’s arena.

Attachments:

Today’s update. I had a problem where the bugs weren’t showing up in the arena in real hardware, but I fixed it. I also fixed Gi-Ant’s arena so the bugs are back behind the anthills where they should be, while they are in front of Behemoth’s arena, on a windowsill.
I’m hoping to have the game be 4 megabits. I’m supposing that’s 512 megabytes. Right now the game stands at 512 KB. But I don’t know if that’s kilobytes or kilobits (Windows just says KB.) So what I’m saying is, I want the game to be the same size as Panic Bomber and Mario’s Tennis. Is there a way to tell how much of the 512 KB I’m actually using for the game?

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.