Original Post

Hello all, I was sent here from Seattle Retro Gamers on Facebook. Where there was some previous discusion.

I have in my possession an authentic, functional, 1995 prototype cartridge of Bound High for the Virtual Boy.

It is as of yet unclear to me what version of the game I have? If it is the same or different than the buggy->patched ROM used to make the repros? What is the easiest way for me to determine the version?

I have included pics of the cartridge and PCB. (I apologise my phone camera sucks.)

Any further information, or insight would be appreciated.

89 Replies

Figured it out myself, I was using the Retrode Dumper wrong! I hadn’t noticed the slot selector buttons on the side last night!

Tried again today and success! File pulled at 2048KB, no need to pad!

Works perfectly on FlashBoy+

Works perfectly on VBJin emulator

Now what to do with the ROM? Who’s the detective who can dissect the code? If I remember it was Thunderstruck?

Hmm the background in your copy looks messed up compared to the rom we are all familiar with.

Well that was live screenshot of an active emulator, so I imagine it didn’t catch it all. I was excited it worked.

Dreammary wrote:
Hmm the background in your copy looks messed up compared to the rom we are all familiar with.

I can have a look if you like.

I suppose I would appreciate an authentication & evaluation period. Considering every previous buggy/fixed version of this game has been wrought with dynamic.

Who can I trust to receive validation before distribution?

pm me

I would 100% trust ThunderStruck to compare your ROM with what we have. He has done some amazing things for this community already (hacks, translation work, homebrew, applications, coding, etc). He also works in computers and is very knowledgeable about the VB.

Just my 2 cents!~

For what it’s worth, I second the endorsement of thunderstruck. I think it is fair to say that he is very well respected within this community and clearly knows his way around a VB ROM, what with all of his successful homebrew projects and tools. He also just seems like a decent, trustworthy person in my interactions with him. There are certainly others who would be great too, but since he was “nominated” via a mention, I thought I would give a second to that.

Lester Knight wrote:
I would 100% trust ThunderStruck to compare your ROM with what we have. He has done some amazing things for this community already (hacks, translation work, homebrew, applications, coding, etc). He also works in computers and is very knowledgeable about the VB.

Just my 2 cents!~

Oh wow! I’m quite late to the thread, but this is a fantastic find! Thanks so much for sharing, Cpt. F.! And thanks to your associate as well! We’re in their debt!

Here’s hoping the ROM looks good. It’s an amazing work of preservation going on here!

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.