Original Post

| NEWS |

JULY 2020 – We are hard at work on a second tech demo. This post has been updated with some additional info about the project.

| ABOUT THE PROJECT |

MAIDEN is an action game currently being developed for the Virtual Boy. Originally we had ambitions to create something a bit more like Starfox, but research on the hardware took us in new exciting directions that we couldn’t ignore.

Through a rendering method that’s somewhere in-between Donkey Kong Country and Resident Evil 2 we are able to have densely detailed 3D graphics.

| RELEASE DATE |

As it stands, we don’t know when the game is coming out. This post stands as the most up to date official info. We try to get this kind of info out as soon as possible.

| ABOUT TECH DEMO 2 |

Our latest tech demo will showcase our 50fps 3D graphics pipeline, showing off some of our color tricks to get the 4 color palette of the Virtual Boy into many, many more. Our compression technology is a work in progress, but this demo will fit on a standard Flashboy, Flashboy+, or Hyperflash32 flash cart.

Our 3D graphics are partially pre-rendered in our custom Unreal Engine 4 build which has features like ray tracing and volumetric shadows. Tech demo 2 is a display of the true hidden power of the Virtual Boy hardware, and we can’t wait to share it with you. As a tiny teaser, here’s one of the first images we got working on an actual Virtual Boy with our new VUEngine-powered project!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by trailboss.
39 Replies

I am curious about the Steam release. Are you going to use an emulator with a hardcoded ROM for that or do an actual port?

In this picture

the Buildings(?) with the windows, are these the natural boundary of the level?
Also this is just one and the same Sprite repeated right?

I’m assuming those are just affine worlds displaying a single image, each with a different scale factor.

I noticed that some of the rows repeat, so I’m sure or not sure if he’s compressing the image size in BGMap memory. Also, the world width is re-sizable, to compress the amount of affine parameter memory to use.

Please God and baby Jesus, allow this to become a physical release.

@KR155E I’m looking into the legal side of things. If it is allowed it will be the VB Rom with an emulator, otherwise we’re prepared to have a native windows port.

@Quaze
You’ll definitely be able to purchase a physical copy!

Will MAIDEN be single player only, or is a two-player mode that utilizes a link cable on the table?

MAIDEN will be a single player game, I think it’d be neat if the ext port was used more though.

Just by looking at the techdemo and some screenshots, it looks like it’s already better than Water World.

I’m very interested in this. I’ve passed on your info to Bob from RetroRGB for his Weekly Roundup News on YouTube.

Hey Everyone,

Sorry to keep you waiting on MAIDEN related news. As you can already tell we’re running a bit behind on the crowdfunding campaign. Part of this is because we have some work to finish up on other projects and the other part is related to the scope of the game. We’re interested in making the best technical showcase on the Virtual Boy and at the Virtual Boy’s full 50FPS.

To accomplish this we’ve decided to rely heavily on prerendered 3D assets as these not only look great but we’re able to render out multiple angles as needed, which is a big plus when you want to produce a true 3D image and not just the basic parallax. We’ve got more announcements coming soon, but rest assured we’re working hard and this game is far from development hell. Next time we talk will be when we’re ready to announce the date of the crowdfunding campaign.

Attachments:

What ever happened to this?

Not dead!

I’ve been writing tools to help with VB development (specifically debugging) and changed jobs. I’ll have a non-Maiden homebrew game out in the next month or two showcasing what I’ve been up to.

trailboss wrote:
Not dead!

I’ve been writing tools to help with VB development (specifically debugging) and changed jobs. I’ll have a non-Maiden homebrew game out in the next month or two showcasing what I’ve been up to.

Sweet! Perfect timing! I wanted to start my series on VB homebrew soon. Just waiting on my intro to be finished. Can’t wait to give it a try and showcase it for people 🙂

Updates on Madiden, the non-madien homebrew, and the crowdfunding link?

Very excited about this project, im jonesing for more info! 🙂

I appreciate the enthusiasm!

The non-Maiden homebrew will be ready before May. If the VB Tracker is out it will also probably include music, but I’ll release it regardless. As for Maiden itself, there have been some changes made to how it will play, all for the sake of a more enjoyable experience. I know that sounds awfully vague but I’m really intent on making Maiden a 3D game and not just a 2D game with parallax.

Is there any update on any of this by chance?

Are there any updates? Are these projects still alive?

last update 8 months ago 🙁

Any updates??? This game is a real cool promise to VB fans.

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.