Original Post

I wanted to post my thoughts about this topic so people can respond to it.

It was brought up in another thread and some members might miss the discussion.

Because 2015 is the 20 anniversary of the vboy, a suggestion was made to have another coding competition. Not only that, but have the submissions be more varied.

I think this is a great idea, but some thought would have to be put into it and I would like to hear some feedback from the contestants from last years competition and of course Krisse.

1st problem…TIME

Would it be to soon to have workable demos/entries next year ? I know there was a great deal of scrambling done last year and we extended the deadline. Also, the coders might want a break πŸ™‚ On the other hand, there might be submissions that were not quite ready yet..and they might be by next year ?? (but lets be honest..most will be started 2 months (err weeks) before the contest πŸ™‚ )

2nd problem…Prizes

What should we give ? how to we pay for it ? Take donations and do posters/shirts..what about carts ? So far, we haven’t been able to give out the 1st place entry to MK yet…hard to make a cart out of an emulator πŸ˜›

3rd problem…general set up/rules

I think multiple categories would be interesting this time around

Software…games and engines..anything able to be put on a cart and run on the vboy..or used to create a coding environment (?)

Hardware…anything that can be added to the vboy to add functionality or make it better

artwork…any artwork that celebrates the vboy and all of its glory..posters..3-d images. Maybe artwork that can be used for a game ??

Hall of fame…vote on people to have ‘hall of fame’ badges. People that help the community in various ways. It would include older members that most newer members might not know about ..example: David Tucker..mindstorm…dogp..ben stevens… and of course Krisse

All stars…vote in all stars for their work the last 1-2 years..people like runnerpack/dogp for bringing broken vboys back to life

A+ rookies…people in the last few years that have really stepped up and helped out. Guy’s tech scroll, thunderstruck’s polished games, hedgtrimmers (sp) 3-d models

I think it would be great if people could submit multiple times in one or more categories. But, only 1 prize per category should be awarded per person. But, if someone co-makes a project and comes in 2nd for a solo..why not give them 2 prizes…

please..lets hear some thoughts on this. Particularly from people that would plan on entering.

Also, this post doesn’t mean that it’s happening…just an open discussion atm.

-Eric

23 Replies

morintari wrote:
Why don’t we call the comp Virtualfest

I think that’s a great idea!

Good call Morintari! VirtualFest shall define 2015 πŸ™‚

Does that mean you will be designing the official banner in full red + black?

HP Lovethrash wrote:

Good call Morintari! VirtualFest shall define 2015 πŸ™‚

Does that mean you will be designing the official banner in full red + black?

Maybe maybe not you have to understand I have too many Irons in the fire. You understand, I’m a very busy man.

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.