Original Post

As a test for creating a sprite/to see if I could still do it, I created a custom focus screen based upon the original VB logo (using on boxes of FlashBoy Plus and on the front page of Nintendo’s development manual). I MUCH prefer it to the final logo we got.

As I seem to have a different coding style than some of the board members here, I’ll prefix my contribution with the following: I am a fan of “multiple translation units divided by purpose, link them together”, whereas the board seems to in general use “include all source files in one master source file, link a single object.” My files follow the former approach, and also do not use libgccvb types (they use short, which is what Nintendo’s CGX2C.EXE used).

That being said, it’s not difficult to convert it to the “master include file” form :P.

Size: 384×224
Note: The C files were generated by using HorvatM’s vbimgc tool, and modified by me after the fact. This is my own work otherwise.

  • This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by cr1901.
5 Replies

Looks like something that could’ve popped up in official second/third generation VB games, had those existed. Really cool.

It looks pretty cool, but it lacks the grid of pixels that make it easier to adjust the focus, and two of the corners aren’t as visible, which might make it harder to adjust IPD.

RunnerPack wrote:
It looks pretty cool, but it lacks the grid of pixels that make it easier to adjust the focus, and two of the corners aren’t as visible, which might make it harder to adjust IPD.

No problem, I can always edit the post later. I’ll just open PAINT.NET and… oh… XD

Jest aside, when I have access to my Windows OS again, I’ll add an extra layer for the grid BG and make all 4 corner the same. Additionally, the real focus screen has two corners visible for each eye (necessitates two BGs or 16 (4corners*4objects) objects + 1BG).

I don’t think Pinta is going to be able to do what I want, but I’ll see.

If you don’t mind the Mono framework, you could use Mono Paint (Paint.NET ported to Linux). There’s also The GIMP.

Alright, my Python tool for converting BMPs to C is working (not as user-friendly as HorvatM’s but it does the job for automating asset conversion). First thing I did was take the focus screen, split it into two, and add parallax. This was the result: http://imgur.com/VBeYXxE

I have attached the BMPs and generated C files (same conventions as list time). I feel this focus screen’s much better! Thanks for the suggestions. 🙂

 

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.