okay…so i won mario clash in an ebay auction seeing as i “fixed” my virtual boy with the oven fix a few days ago. last night i was playing wario, i was playing for maybe 10-20 min. im not sure, i noticed that the right lens was flickering a few times. i thought maybe the batteries are running low, ive never changed them yet. about 5 min after this started to happen, the right lens goes black and a loud buzzing starts and the actual virtual boy started to jiggle a little. i quickly shut it off, turned it back on and it did the same noise and jiggle but now there is no picture to be seen at all. now this morning…i turn it on and it works fine…what the hell is wrong with my system now?! is it overheating or something? i just wanna play it!!! i am having so many issues with it!! GRRR, help! 😕
it didn’t overheat. Maybe an Admin can tell you whats wrong. If it only happened once, don’t worry about it.
andddddddd the scan lines are back….looks like after only 5 days after putting the cables in the oven, the virtual boy is messed up again…i dont know why.. (as of a few min. ago they came back)
ok so i just did the oven fix AGAIN today, 2nd time now…and its working again so far…i hope i dont have to do it again, its a pain!!! any advice guys!?!?!
The oven fix is only a temporary method. If you want it to stay fixed, follow one of the permanent solutions on the sticky.
I have to confess that the oven method is for a limited time.
The problem returned, but now is the right eye, I look at black lines, not red, is rare.
try the method of bypass … I have faith in this method
arming of patience, everything is in the virtual boy 😉
No offense to DanB, but I’d recommend against doing the bypass method. I’ve used 30 awg wrapping wire for MANY things, and unless you’re really careful when you’re stripping, you’re very likely to knick the edge of the wires, which will break after a couple small movements or shakes. Of course it’s also a difficult and tedious procedure, so a novice would likely cause more problems than fixing anything. Wrapping wire is also not very flexible since it’s a solid core wire (rather than stranded), so it’ll break at any bends after being moved several times (like adjusting the IPD)… of course the hot glue that he used should relieve the stress at the bends. DanB’s looked good, and I’m sure he took his time and was very careful, but he’s also experienced at soldering, but for someone less skilled, it’d likely turn into a huge mess.
I personally REALLY like my new method using Sodium Hydroxide to dissolve the coating, and then solder the original cable to the PCB. This works well because the cable itself is perfectly fine, but the connection between the cable and the display PCB has failed. By soldering this connection, there should be no worry of the connection ever coming undone. The display is also still removable from the system after this method. This method isn’t easy, since the pins are still very small, and of course I realize that not everyone has access to, or wants to use nasty chemicals like that, but if you’re really careful, you can also remove the coating manually with a very sharp knife. It’s very nice compared to other methods too, since the cable stays attached the whole time, so there’s no need to worry about connecting the wires to the wrong place, or trying to line up a new cable. The last cable I did using this method took me approximately 20 minutes from putting in the oven to finishing soldering the wires, and I’ll bet the next one I do takes even less time.