Original Post

Hey Everyone,

VirtuousRage was asking me for a while to do a Translation Patch for Insmouse No Yakata (インスマウスの館). A week ago I decided to give it a go. After starting to analyze the ROM I remembered that HorvatM already did all of this: http://matejhorvat.si/en/vboy/insmouse/

Based on that data I wrote a tool that allows me to freely change every image inside of the ROM. I actually found allot more (very disturbing) images that had not been mapped by HorvatM yet as well. While the tool works for my needs it’s not in a state that allows a release quite yet. There is not too much work left though. Maybe in a week or so.

Attached you will find the patched ROM, some screenshots and a (too fast) video.

https://youtu.be/xeKBhiLKjdA

Have fun playing.

21 Replies

Nice work as always Thunderstruck!

Cool! And thanks! ♥

thunderstruck wrote:
I actually found allot more (very disturbing) images that had not been mapped by HorvatM yet as well.

Disturbing? I don’t remember seeing anything that wasn’t already shown in the game. But I know I haven’t mapped the whole ROM yet. If you tell me the addresses, I’ll add them to the list.

thunderstruck wrote:
VirtuousRage was asking me for a while to do a Translation Patch for Insmouse No Yakata (インスマウスの館). A week ago I decided to give it a go.

You’re the best Thunderstruck!!!

It was really fun making all the sprite edits for the patch. 🙂

Thanks again for helping me complete this project that began 2 years ago! One step closer to the finish line~!

This is awesome, good job, guys!

Awesome. Great job and thank you! 🙂

Very nice!! Downloaded and will test it later this week.

Thanks everyone.

HorvatM wrote:
Disturbing? I don’t remember seeing anything that wasn’t already shown in the game. But I know I haven’t mapped the whole ROM yet. If you tell me the addresses, I’ll add them to the list.

Yeah, I thought for a moment I found some hidden images but they all ended being used in the endings. It seems like that’s what’s missing from your current map. I also didn’t really debug the ROM or anything. Just looked at charsets and BgMaps that happened to be in the empty spots of your map. Still, disturbing stuff if you look at them out of context. I attached some.

I have to say that your analysis made this work so much easier. I also included you into the credits in case you didn’t see it.

I will provide you with a detailed list of my findings as soon as I have my tool done.

VirtuousRage wrote:
You’re the best Thunderstruck!!!

It was really fun making all the sprite edits for the patch. 🙂

I should have pointed this out more clearly in my initial post. While I did patch the ROM VirtuousRage is the one who did the translation and did painstakingly create the image for the translated credits. He also made the new title screen logo. I just slapped everything together and patched it into the ROM.

VirtuousRage wrote:
Thanks again for helping me complete this project that began 2 years ago! One step closer to the finish line~!

It was really fun working with you. I can think of many more ROM hacks we can do.

Nice work, thanks so much!

Awesome work! Thanks guys!

very cool, great work!

Attached is the ROM padded to 2MiB for those having difficulty getting it padded.

This is awesome! Thanks! I happened to find this on sketchup.

Perfect for my retroarch setup.

Love that last image with the screaming monster, seems useful.

Just really posting to say great job all around and on the final cobbling of all that into a working translated game. I forgot it had never been done, and it was like the last big one needed (I think) around Gundam, Fishing, and Space Squash. Virtaul Lab maybe? I’ve never attempted it.

Again thanks, and great job. I’ve got a flashboy so this should be fun to take a crack at as time allows.

Heck yeah! Downloaded to try it out!

VmprHntrD wrote:
Love that last image with the screaming monster, seems useful.

Just really posting to say great job all around and on the final cobbling of all that into a working translated game. I forgot it had never been done, and it was like the last big one needed (I think) around Gundam, Fishing, and Space Squash. Virtaul Lab maybe? I’ve never attempted it.

Again thanks, and great job. I’ve got a flashboy so this should be fun to take a crack at as time allows.

I did remove the Japanese from Virtaul Lab, translated the remaining few things in Space Squash and did the complete translation for Fishing.

Always wanted to translate the title screen in Gundam. I think VTetris has some screens that can be translated as well.

thunderstruck wrote:

VmprHntrD wrote:
Love that last image with the screaming monster, seems useful.

Just really posting to say great job all around and on the final cobbling of all that into a working translated game. I forgot it had never been done, and it was like the last big one needed (I think) around Gundam, Fishing, and Space Squash. Virtaul Lab maybe? I’ve never attempted it.

Again thanks, and great job. I’ve got a flashboy so this should be fun to take a crack at as time allows.

I did remove the Japanese from Virtaul Lab, translated the remaining few things in Space Squash and did the complete translation for Fishing.

Always wanted to translate the title screen in Gundam. I think VTetris has some screens that can be translated as well.

That’s good to know. I’ll have to keep an eye out. I can’t get any padding tools to work for me either which is infuriating as I wanted to pad out this Mansion game, but then I just saw the link up there to the padded rom. I don’t have Virtual Lab translated/padded, but the other I do from that smokemonster package. As stuff comes out I’m adding the originals + padded to it just as he did.

EDIT: Nevermind, found Virtual Lab you did, thanks very much for that and all you do. You’ve really made owning a VB again even more worth it than it was years ago with treasures like these. Between these lost to us Japanese titles, Richard with the Flashboy Plus, and then those 3 prototype games expanding the library too things really are great.

  • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by VmprHntrD.

Thanks so much for your work on this! I’ve been wanting to play Insmouse no Yakata for a long time, but was hoping a solid English patch would come along.

Does this game have a save feature? Noticed when I started it, it stated “New Game”. But not a load game, enter code etc.

Artie wrote:
Does this game have a save feature? Noticed when I started it, it stated “New Game”. But not a load game, enter code etc.

There is no save feature in the game, but there is a password system.

I can be kind of hard to tell from the emulator, but at the title screen to the right of the monster-bubble is the word: “Password”.

Is the controls different from the JP version? Or was the game made harder than the JP version?? Seem to be different.

 

Write a reply

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.